Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I prevent heat build up in my shed?

MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

How do I prevent heat build up in my shed?

Hi I have recently purchased a shed which I use as my sewing room, here in Tauranga..

I have insulated the walls but it has a metal roof and the heat build up these days is preventing me from using the shed during a large part of the day in this hot weather. The fan I have gives me some cooling but not nearly enough.

What is my best solution (taking into account that I am 72 years old). Also, is there something I can put on the non-opening windows and ranchslider door  to help?

Front of shedFront of shed1 of 2 windows1 of 2 windowsMetal RoofMetal RoofCentre of roof with skylight section at front and backCentre of roof with skylight section at front and back

Thank you

Mary

Re: How do I prevent heat build up in my shed

Love it @MaryTonnz! I'm glad to hear you've got it sorted.

I apologise as I missed pointing you towards our in-home services. 

For readers of this discussion, I thought I'd point out that Bunnings Australia offers air-conditioning installation, and Bunnings New Zealand offers heat pump installation.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MaryTonnz
Building a Reputation

I thought you did Mitchell. 

I filled in a form in a link from somewhere (and looking at your link now it looks the same).  And I got it installed in 2 days. 

Mary

Great to hear @MaryTonnz!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MaryTonnz 

I am glad you space is sorted  you will be able to use you space  summer and winter at your perfect temperature is comforting to me to know.

It is a lovely cosy room to be in to do your sewing and crafting.

That Air con in your outdoor room will be an asset to your house too.

iveg
Building a Reputation

Re: How do I prevent heat build up in my shed?

Good to see your problem is solved Mary. Sound advice Mitch.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MaryTonnz,

It's great that you've taken on board the advice given above.

If you are going to go down the track of foil insulation (that is banned for use in underfloor installations and certain above floor installations).

The problem is wiring contacting the metal foil itself, which if done by a competent Electrician, should never happen in the first place, the original issue was with low-skilled insulation installers stapling foil to power cables in roofs and under floors that would liven up the foil itself, which is not ideal

Have the Electrician that installs your Air Con unit, either disconnect and make safe the wiring for your lighting and then come back and reconnect it once your ceiling is in place, this is a must, also make sure you get a Certificate of Compliance once the work is completed, it is up to them to give you this before they leave your house at the completion of the job, I know this as an Electrician myself.

I take it, most of the heat in your shed is radiated heat from that roof, if you can shield the interior of the building from that, that will be the problem solved.

Great advice from @Jewelleryrescue regarding the Air Con unit, which for a room of that size, won't need to be that large at all, but it will give you flexibility between winter and summer.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with this!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects