Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you epoxy over a painted garage floor?

Karl92
Growing in Experience

Can you epoxy over a painted garage floor?

Hi everyone,

I have a painted double garage that I would love to epoxy. Have read conflicting information on whether I can epoxy over the existing floor or if I need to grind it back. 

If I do need to grind it how do I go about something like this, what tools would I need?

20240120_133727.jpg20240120_133718.jpg20240120_133731.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Epoxy painted garage floor

Hi @Karl92 

for long wearing  epoxy results it is  best to start with concrete base..  If you cover  paint it might not handle the traffic upon it.

It dosnt take to much to grind the  paint back and you floor  will be a little smoother to start  with.

Hire the  grinder or  use angle grinder  with aggressive carbide disk.

Hi @Karl92,

I'm keen to hear more about why you'd like to epoxy the floor. All the epoxy products for floors I know are designed to go over bare concrete. So, you'd need to grind the grind back in order to re-coat and switch systems. To grind the surface back, you'd need to rent a floor grinder. For the most consistent results, I'd recommend going for the stand-up variety and not an angle grinder, unless you are particularly skilled at using one.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Karl92
Growing in Experience

Thanks guys,

I like the look of the epoxy, but sounds like it might be a bit of work involved. 

The garage floor is really slippery, I think when the previous owners painted they didn't put the powder (I think) that makes it less slippery. 

Might patch some of the holes and cracks and paint it instead. 

Any tips on painting over existing paint?

Thanks for your patience and support.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The preparation steps would be dependant on the brand of paint you choose @Karl92. Say, for instance, you went with White Knight Ultrapave, the steps would be as follows:

PREVIOUSLY PAINTED CONCRETE

• Check for lifting of old paint. If it is not sound, remove all old paint.

• Scrape off all loose and flaking paint by wire brushing or sanding.

• Sand glossy or smooth surfaces thoroughly.

• Rinse surface thoroughly with clean water.

• Allow concrete to dry completely.

• Test paint on a small inconspicuous area to ensure compatibility with the old coating. After 24 hours of drying, check for lifting of old paint or poor adhesion. If problems are observed total removal of the old paint is required. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects