Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I put acoustic foam tiles on foilboard?

bazz235
Getting Established

Can I put acoustic foam tiles on foilboard?

I'm planning on putting up foilboard on the ceiling of my golf sim colorbond shed.

I also want to protect it from skied shots. Would sticking acoustic foam tiles to the foilboard reduce it's efficacy?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can I put acoustic foam tiles on foilboard?

Good Afternoon @bazz235 

Firstly Id like to say welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Hopefully you will stumble across some interesting ideas or solutions to your question.

Flipboard? Do you mean plywood? I went looking for flipboard as I hadnt heard the term and ended up looking at an app :smile:

Coulorbond sheds traditionaly dont have a lot of weight carrying ability. At least not the ones I am thinking of. Any chance you could show some photos of the area/shed you are wanting to modify?

To protect from skewed shots maybe you could line the walls with something along the lines of foilboard 25 x 2400 x 1200mm cathedral 25 insulation and at the same time it may make the shed a little cooler?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @bazz235. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lining a shed.

It's great to see that @Dave-1 is already on the case, and I, too, would be interested to know more about this flipboard. I think I've gone down the same rabbit hole and am looking at a golfing site, but I can't find a reference to board materials. Is this something used specifically on golf sims?

I'm keen to hear more about your project and provide assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bazz235
Getting Established

Sorry, autocorrect. Foilboard, yep.

Can I attach acoustic foam tiles to the underside of the foilboard (to protect the foilboard and to darken the area), without compromising the efficacy of the foilboard.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Howdy @bazz235 

Mmmmm I never think of foilboard being a structual anything as it supports itself but not a lot else.

How were you thinking of attaching it to the walls? I dont see why it couldnt support acoustic foam if it was well secured. Say with something that will glue to colourbond and styrofoam. (I will let the experts say what glue :smile: )

As to the roof part... lotsa glue maybe but remember that its only a colourbond shed, it really cant carry a lot of weight other then its roof and walls. I am presuming the acoustic foam is resonably heavy especially across the whole roof.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bazz235,

Foilboard will be fine for the roof and walls; it's quite light, and the manufacturer has no concern with it being used for shed roofs. I can't imagine foam tiles would compromise their efficiency at all; if anything, they'd likely add to their insulation properties. The Foilboard can be glued to the shed roof with neutral cure silicone, and the foam tiles could also be glued to the foilboard with it. The Foilboard manufacturer recommends you adhere the board to the walls and roof by first glueing their spacers blocks or blocks you've made from the excess board onto the roof and walls. The foil board is then glued to the spacers. This creates an air gap between the Foilboard and walls/ceiling and improves their efficiency. Here's the installation guide for sheds.

I do note @Dave-1's concern about weight, but the acoustic tiles I've seen have all been exceptionally lightweight, perhaps there are other types where weight might be of concern.

A note to our New Zealand members: The use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects