Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Benchtop material advice

DizzyFi
Just Starting Out

Benchtop material advice

I just want some advice on the best options for a bench top material.

The bench top will function initially as a kitchen bench but will later be used as a workshop bench. I ma making two benches - one will be fixed and have a sink in it while the other will be a mobile bench

1800 long x 700 deep x ~ 25m high

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Benchtop material advice

Hello @DizzyFi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about benchtop material.

The common sizes available for benchtops are 600mm and 900mm deep. If you are after 700mm you'll need to cut down the 900mm deep benchtop. Another way to get the size you want is to either custom order the benchtop from the special orders desk or to cut and join two 600mm tops and cut away the excess.

I suggest having a look at the 2100 x 900 x 30mm Clear Pine FJ Laminated Panel or the 2250 x 600mm 30mm Plywood Pine BC Grade. These panels can be clear-coated and used as kitchen benchtops and double as worktops when the time comes. They can be cleverly disguised by painting them with Feast Watson 1L Satin Liming White Stain And Varnish.

Here is an excellent guide on lime wash painting: How to lime wash timber furniture by @prettyliving

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
beeker
Getting Established

Re: Benchtop material advice

another vote for the clear pine panel (although 600mm) - I laminated 2 on top of each other (screwed, not glued) to quick fix a workbench in the garage.  worked fine and I don't stress about beating it up.

-Matt 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects