How to paint under timber floor boards?

David1996
Just Starting Out

How to paint under timber floor boards?

IMG_5322.png

Hey Guys 

am working on a wet room renovation,  

I have to paint the ceilings of the wet room  

the ceiling is composed of hardwood which are the beams and the surface under the floorboards of the 2nd level of the house, 

1. should I sand the hardwood?

? If so what grit ?
Should I prime the wood ?

What is a good painting product to use ?

Thanks Guys 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: painting under timber floor boards

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @David1996. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about the painting.

Could you please tell our helpful members a bit more about what you'll be using this wet room for? Will there be a shower, and will you install an exhaust to vent the room? What level of finish do you want to achieve in the space? 

If it's purely a utility wet room and the aesthetics are of little consequence, then you wouldn't have to sand the timber, but if you are trying to achieve a level of finish, sanding would be a great idea. Once you've sanded and primed it, and the primer has dried, use a quality topcoat suitable for wet areas.

The grit needed to sand the hardwood is dictated by its roughness. If it is quite rough, I recommend starting with 80 grit and working your way up to less coarse grits until you've achieved a smooth surface. A powered sander will be a must for this job.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects