Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would you combine your laundry and bathroom?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Would you combine your laundry and bathroom?

A laundry-bathroom combo maximises available space and can be an ideal solution for those living in compact homes.

However, it can also bring challenges like lack of privacy.

I’m curious to know what our members think. Do you prefer having dedicated, separate spaces for each activity? Or do you think a combined space will be more convenient and efficient?

Tagging @rjackson@prettyliving and @homeinmelbourne to kickstart the discussion.

Bathroom laundry combined example.jpeg

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Would you combine your laundry and bathroom?

Good Morning @Akanksha 

Ive had both over the years. One flat had a huge laundry and bathrrom type deal. The space felt like the size of a medium bedroom. It was handy to have both in the same room but felt a little lifeless due to the echo chamber effect :smile: Also even tho it was so large all it had was a bathtub in a corner, shower diagonally across a laundry sink and a bathroom sink, nothing else. It felt a little odd. Looking back it needed to be revamped id say :smile:

I now have seperate bathroom and laundry plus an offshoot second toilet in the laundry. I prefer this as it allows me to store tools in the laundry area and of course any junk thats unassigned :smile: 

Dave

rjackson
Growing in Experience

Hi @Akanksha , the combined bathroom/laundry is an  great space saver and with a combined washer/dryer it’s easy to forget it’s there.

With a smaller household we find no issues with privacy and laundry is already in the right room for washing. Storage is key!

With a larger family you may have to manage timings and privacy but not to be ruled out if you would rather the space in another room.

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

@Akanksha I would definitely do this if lack of space was an issue and this was a way to solve it. We actually considered combing our laundry and kitchen together at one point until we found a better solution. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for sharing your experience, @Dave-1! It's interesting to hear about your previous flat with a combined laundry and bathroom and your current setup with separate spaces. Considering your past and present living arrangements, have you ever thought about how the design and layout of these spaces could affect your daily routines and overall lifestyle?

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on the combined bathroom/laundry setup, @rjackson. It sounds like it's been a convenient space-saving solution for your smaller household. I can see how having the laundry in the same room as the bathroom would make washing more efficient.

You mentioned that storage is key, and I can understand how important that must be, especially when you have limited space. In the context of a larger family, you brought up an interesting point about managing timings and privacy. I'm curious, if you were to have a larger family or if your family size were to change in the future, how would you approach the arrangement of the bathroom and laundry areas to accommodate everyone's needs effectively? Would you consider maintaining the combined setup or opting for separate spaces?

Mitchell

It's interesting to hear that you were considering combining your laundry and kitchen at one point @prettyliving. It seems like space optimization was a significant factor in your decision-making process. What alternative solution did you find that made you reconsider the laundry and kitchen combination? Could you share more about the solution you ended up choosing and why it was a better fit for your needs compared to the combined setup?

Mitchell

rjackson
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc our place is only a 1 by 1 so we need to extend for bedrooms already. Our plan is still to build on a new combined laundry bathroom but with a separate WC at the other end of the house and maybe swap the current laundry section to a bath. 

Being on an acreage, the dirt is always an issue so keeping the rooms combined it keeps it manageable.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a great plan, @rjackson! Combining the laundry and bathroom while having a separate WC and converting the current laundry section into a bath seems like a smart way to optimize your space. It's wonderful that you're considering the future needs of your family as well.

As you move forward with your home extension and renovation, how do you envision the overall design and style of the combined bathroom/laundry? Do you plan to incorporate any particular elements to create a harmonious and functional space? Feel free to share your thoughts, and I'm here to discuss any ideas or provide suggestions if needed!

Mitchell

@MitchellMc Yes our kitchen is very small but the laundry (that is right behind it) is huge. So we did think about removing the wall inbetween them to open in up but have now decided to extend the kitchen into the hallway and make a new hallway by taking a bit out of one of the bedrooms which is really big. This way will work better with the house layout. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects