Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What sort of board is this in our laundry?

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

What sort of board is this in our laundry?

Hello again, 2 weeks ago I asked regarding waterproofing or water resistance in the laundry now we're about to remove the wall to

20230808_114313.jpg

20230808_114305.jpg

since we have to change it to villaboard. This one doesn't look gyprock to me or since I'm new maybe I'm wrong lol bottom sheet looks gyprock to me tho. Just removed the cornice for now till I get the answer since I'm new to DIY I have to double check if I should rip it off or leave it. Thank you all

Re: What sort of board is this in our laundry?

Hi @Newbie2k23,

It's perfectly fine to put insulation batts around plumbing pipes. Depending on where they sit in the walls thickness, you might need to put the batt behind or infornt of the pipe, or cut the batts to fit around them. No issue with proximity though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much, got worried about it because I thought the pipe may burst if I put insulation around it 

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Hello, all again the plumber came today and removed the old line and installed the new line. I told the plumber I don't use hot water in the washing machine except for cleaning the drum and the really dirty clothes. We're going to have a mixer for the sink. So the plumber put 2 hot water where we can switch it on only when we need it. And said he would come back to install the rest afterwards. So my question is since it's only 1 cold water does it mean the cold water for the washing machine and mixer can be connected in that 1 cold line? Are they using adapter or whatever is that safe when it comes to leak issue. Thanks again

20230825_133207.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @Newbie2k23 

I am a little confused with the question. I would ask the plumber these questions as they are the ones who installed it and would be able to tell you acuratly what is the deal and how it works. 

As to the question of only cold water installed or both.

I would always get both installed as future use you do not know and having only one installed could be a problem somewhere down the track (I only use the cold water in my laundry as my washing machine heats the cold water when needed)

Dave

Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Hi Dave sorry about the confusion, yes I did ring the plumber and asked him why only 3 pipes, he said that it's cheaper that way for me but he can install another cold water if I want, so when he comes back he will put a valve for cold water for mixer and washing machine to connect because I don't need to switch the tap for cold water since it's a normal 24hrs tap so it can be connected using valve without putting extra line for extra payment.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newbie2k23 

My best tip in this situation is to have the mixer present when the plumber comes back. They will then be able to ask you questions with the product present and there will be no confusion as to what you'll need.

However, the good news is that it is possible to install a two-way outlet valve on your cold line allowing you to connect the mixer and the washing machine hose with no trouble at all.

My number one recommendation is to make sure to tell the plumber to install a Syneco 1/2" Chrome Mini Cistern Cock on the hot and cold line so that you can turn off the water to your mixer just in case you have a mixer hose leak. It also makes it convenient to repair or replace your mixer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Newbie2k23
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much I will the plumber know once we finish the laundry.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects