Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the correct order of tasks for a bathroom reno?

Havinacrack
Finding My Feet

What is the correct order of tasks for a bathroom reno?

After the rest of the wall tiles & render are removed, remove the floor tiles & the sand cement afterwards. Plumbing then concrete & waterproof? Then render the rest of the walls is this correct 

IMG_0992.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the correct order of tasks for a bathroom reno?

Hi @Havinacrack,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to see you are "having a crack".

The only thing I can see that may cause an issue is waterproofing before rendering. Render will have trouble sticking to waterproofing membrane, whereas waterproofing membrane can be applied over render with no issue. Other than this, everything looks to be in the logical order. 

You may want to look at Villaboard as an option for lining the walls as it gives a nice flat surface to waterproof and tile over. This however may require the services of a trained professional as attaching it to brick walls can be quite involved.

You may also want to read this handy article on How to plan a bathroom renovation for some guidance.

Keep us in the loop.

Jacob

Hi Jacob!

thanks for sending that across… yep thought the same thing after I read it. 

I’m tossing between villa boarding or re rendering to the existing render. If we were to villa board would I have to scrape the remaining render off the walls? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Havinacrack,

If you were to use Villaboard, James Hardie's advised method of installation on brick and block walls is to install batten or furring channel to the wall and to fix the Villaboard onto the batten/furring channel. If the wall was battened out, you could install the Villaboard over the render without having to remove it all, but you would lose around 50mm on each wall where you used this method.

Have a look at James Hardies' Villaboard Lining Installation Guide. This will give you an idea of what is required to meet their standard of installation.

Let me know if you require more assistance.

Jacob

Awesome, Thinking ill batten 30mm at the bottom and 20mm on exisiting render as thats about 10mm thick. 

I'll work on getting the rest of the tiles and concrete up! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Havinacrack,

The size variation sounds good as long as everything stays nice and plumb, but just be aware that James Hardies recommended nails/screws are 25 or 30mm long so you may need to increase the size of your battens a little bit.

Keep us updated as your project progresses.

Jacob

I'll let you know how we go! 

Cheers Jacob!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects