Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I use to fill a chase in brick laundry wall?

rennochap23
Finding My Feet

What can I use to fill a chase in brick laundry wall?

I am renovating my laundry and have had electricians chasing cable (in conduit) in the wall.

What is the best material to fill in the holes left around conduit and copper pipe ? I plan to lay tiles over the top of whatever material is used. The depth of the chase range from 30mm to 55mm where the copper pipe is

Laundry wall with chaseLaundry wall with chase 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What can I use to fill a chase in brick laundry wall

Hello @rennochap23 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your laundry wall.

Because the depth is quite deep, I suggest using Sika 20kg Sika MonoTop-352NFG Structural Repair Mortar. Sika advises that it can be used in layers up to 75mm thick as it is fibre reinforced. Just make sure to give the mortar enough time to cure properly before you begin tiling over it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric, most appreciated 

Would Dunlop Rapid Mortar repair be suitable? Given the smaller size?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunlop-5kg-ardit-rapidset-repair-mortar_p0760262

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rennochap23 

I was thinking that you might be able to get away with using the Lanko 5kg 136 Rapid Patching Mortar. However, I was worried about the depth of the channel. Being at 50mm it might not be strong enough to hold itself in place. The Sika Mono Top Mortar is made for deep repairs and will hold itself in place even at 75mm of depth.

I propose using the Sika Mortar so that you can be sure that it will be able to fill deep parts of the channel.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you very much for clarifying 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects