Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Updated toilet and floating shelves

Trying
Making a Splash

Updated toilet and floating shelves

Hello people, lockdown has given me the time to give the old loo an overdue  makeover. As the water tank was attached to the wall, the installation of the new loo (from Bunnings) left ugly holes  on show. SOLUTION. I attached a couple of floating shelves to hide the holes. Done!

After:

20210831_140647.jpg

Before:

IMG_7925.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: The new loo

Mark 2...

Horizontal 25mm plate connecting the vertical members.

20240327_085209.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Noyade 

I saw your Mark 2 and thought I would chip in with a Mark 3 design. Your frame design is good, but the shelf has to have support at the side to prevent it from drooping. Two screws at the back won't be enough to hold the weight of the shelf. A third point of support must be present.

Have a quick look at the sketch and let me know if it works for you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day Eric! @EricL 

"Two screws at the back won't be enough to hold the weight of the shelf"

There was always going to be two frames to Mark 2, on both sides of the shelves - but I was just too lazy with the whiteboard to illustrate it. 😁

Your Mark 3 is simply superb! I will try this, thinking less steel is better. That's the great thing about this site - sharing ideas.

I bought some 25mm X 5mm steel yesterday which should be hidden by the shelving thickness - at certain angles. I'll start another thread when I get going - apologies to @Trying for hijacking this one.

Cheers!

Yea ! Another happy workshopper.  Well done @Noyade. How good is it to have access to all that experience and knowledge on this amazing site ? Happy Easter everybody. Stay safe.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects