Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Special dye to detect toilet leak?

rosharch
Building a Reputation

Special dye to detect toilet leak?

Hi all,

I bought some food dye to perform the toilet cistern test to see if water is leaking into the bowl but I've come across a handful of articles like this https://www.kingscotechemicals.com/diy-dye-leak-test-for-toilets/#:~:text=Dye%20leak%20tests%20for%2....

That basically say either the test doesn't work or special dye is required. I've searched Bunnings for this dye online and come up with nothing.

Anyone more knowledgeable able to advise me?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Special dye to detect toilet leak?

You're not having much luck, are you @rosharch!

That pipe is entering at too much of an angle and, as I previously mentioned, is likely the cause of the leak. The nut is chewed up by people trying to tighten it and stop the leak. That won't really work, as no matter how tight the nut is, there will always be a gap from the pipe entering incorrectly. My images further back in the discussion show why. As I mentioned, your best bet is to replace the solid pipe with a flexible hose connector. Due to them being flexible, they don't suffer from this issue.

Now if you're sure the water is coming from the tap and not just dripping off the tap from the leak in the pipe connector above, then we can try and solve that issue. The most straightforward solution would be to just replace the mini cistern cock. Unscrew it from the wall, add some thread tape and screw the new one on. You can attempt to replace the o-ring on the tap spindle shaft, where the tap is likely leaking from, but it's a bit of stuffing around. 

I recommend you pick up a new mini cistern cock and a flexible hose. Their installation will resolve these issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rosharch
Building a Reputation

Re: Special dye to detect toilet leak?

Yup, the leak was definitely isolated to the tap itself (it has always been that way since moving in, even when the cistern and pipe didn't leak). At this time, it seems that the stop gap measures have worked. The whole unit is due a replacement soon anyway, so I'm just holding out to spend the money on the new toilet and fittings when the time comes.

If it does suddenly start leaking again though, I may have to grab the new clock and hose.

Thanks again for all your help, you've made a huge difference.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects