Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing shower screen on old tray

HA2
Finding My Feet

Replacing shower screen on old tray

Hello, wondering how ‘easy’ it would be to replace the shower screen on my old shower with a new shower screen (would go for a corner opening shower frame) while keeping the existing shower tray..would it work? Also what is the best product to freshen up the shower tray base? 
Also, if a vanity is replaced with the same size should it be easy enough to refit a new one? Any watch outs? 

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg

  

IMG_0293.jpeg

Thank you

HA

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing shower screen on old tray

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @HA2. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a shower screen and vanity.

The first thing to do would be to measure your existing screen and see whether anything suits as a direct replacement on that base in our range of shower screens. Typically, you'll find screens similar to the Mondella 900 x 2000mm Chrome Semi Frameless Shower Screen that suits a 860-875 mm W x 860-875 mm D base.

It appears your current base has a very narrow and limited area in which the screens sit, so it's likely the base is custom-made to suit only that screen. You'll likely need to purchase and have installed a new base to suit your new screen.

For a corner entry shower like the Rick McLean's Bathware Silver Euro Corner Entry Shower Screen 1000x1000, you'd most definitely need to replace the base at the same time.

If it's an acrylic base, if you were able to re-use it, you'd likely need to give it a thorough general clean and then attempt to use an acrylic polish to buff out any marks or discolouration.

Installing a vanity is a relatively straightforward process. The only difficult parts are the water and drainage connections, which a licensed plumber is required to install. The only watcout would be that because it is between a wall and a doorway, you'll need to find a unit that is of the same or lesser width so it does not impact on the doorway.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HA2
Finding My Feet

Thanks Mitchell for your advice and quick response. Much appreciated :smile:

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day @HA2 

I'm also in the process of touching up our shower area and your second photo from the top resembles what we have.

Money is limited - so I was thinking of ditching the frame and glass, keeping the base and employing one of those old style shower corner rails.

Do they still make them?

Can you cut them to size?

The ones I have seen in the past usually demonstrated dodgy supports - are they better now?

20240330_083118.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

We have the Sandleford 900 x 900 x 19mm Chrome Shower Curtain Rod or Sandleford 1650 x 750mm Chrome Shower Curtain Rod. They can be cut to size, and the supports are better now. However, depending on the size you're going for, a Sandleford 900mm Chrome Ceiling Support Rod will help hold the weight.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I didn't see your reply till today.

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects