Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Old bathroom makeover

Annaki74
Growing in Experience

Old bathroom makeover

VideoCapture_20211203-225054.jpg

20211203_155815.jpg

I love renovating, upcycling and crafts. This bathroom is one of the biggest projects I attempted on my own.  I bought an old house couple years ago and the bathroom was one of the things that desperately needed a makeover.  It had an old fashioned sink hanging on the wall with a separate hot and cold water spouts which was driving me insane and a leaking tap which couldn't be replaced as it was an external mixer which are not sold in Australia anymore and to order cost a fortune.  At first I wanted to hire trades people to do the bathroom for me but they all seemed to be too busy and I would have to wait for 2 or 3 months plus they said it will take about 3 weeks to complete, at least! I am not a very patient person and didn't like the idea of sitting and waiting plus there's no way I could afford to stay without a bathrom for 3 weeks, I don't have anyone here to go to for a shower so I made a decision to tackle it myself. The whole project took a week, I actually planned 4-5 days but forgot that cement has to dry (after patching big holes in the wall from new connections) and then had to wait for tile glue to dry before fitting the taps and shower. Everything except plumbing (new connections and tap fitting) was done by me. For vanity unit I upcycled an old cabinet that I bought earlier, painted it in semi gloss enamel by British Paints (leftovers from my kitchen project) and remodelled the draw. I put tiles over existing tiles on the side wall and removed only tiles on shower wall.  Small cabinet on the wall I built from scratch using leftover boards that I found in the shed (dressed pine from Bunnings),  spray painted it silver and the door is the same colour as vanity cabinet. Decorative shelves on the left wall and under the windowsill are from Bunnings. I bought tiles elsewhere as I really loved that floral pattern but all the glues, water membraine, grout, screws and some tools including an electric tile cutter are from Bunnings so as all the hardware (taps, shower and rail). Walls i painted in very pale green by Dulux for kitchen and bathroom which matches beautifully with these floral tiles. I also have replaced the window glass to clear so I can enjoy my garden view in the mornings :smile: plus replaced the mirror medicine cabinet on the left wall with a long mirror wich makes this tiny bathroom look just a little bit bigger 😀 Overall I'm pretty happy with the result.  

20211203_154248.jpg

20211203_154232.jpg

  

20211201_201854.jpg

20211202_124633.jpg

  

IMG_20211127_134508.jpg

IMG_20211126_160149.jpg

  

IMG_20211125_172113.jpg

IMG_20211124_104525.jpg

  

Screenshot_20211204-195849_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-131140.png

   

IMG_20211014_112419.jpg

IMG_20211011_132524.jpg

Screenshot_20190921-063934.png

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Old bathroom makeover

Hello @Annaki74

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your bathroom makeover.

What a beautiful bathroom renovation, the floral tiles are a nice counterpoint to the dark ones beside it. I am so impressed that you've reconfigured the drawer for use under the sink. That actually takes a fair bit of doing and is not as easy as it looks. 

Again, thank you for sharing your bathroom makeover.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Annaki74
Growing in Experience

Re: Old bathroom makeover

Hi Eric and thank you 😊  The draw wasn't actually as hard to do, especially comparing to some other challenges I had on the way, like removing the tiles that seemed to be glued to the wall with some super glue for centuries to last 😅 (and that's the reason I decided against removing all tiles from the side wall). With the draw I first thought that maybe I will have just to remove it and leave only a fascia board on, or have a very narrow draw but then came up with that design,  didn't want to compromise my draw space too much 😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects