Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need advice on how to replace hardened glass in shower frame

isa
Growing in Experience

Need advice on how to replace hardened glass in shower frame

So during Covid, early last year, I fell in my shower and shattered the hardened glass panel. I got off with a few scratches, but this is not the post for that.

This is the surviving sliding door section of the shower.

64555481-A34F-49C4-B652-B6E82D625328.jpeg

I have the frame of the single panel, in the garage, all intact, sans the silicone insert, where the glass fits into. Getting a new cabin and/or the panel fitted with new glass into the frame was quite expensive, so I am rolling up the sleeves to give it a go myself.

I am in the process of ordering the correct dimensioned hardened glass sheet, with polished edges… actually it may be unpolished as well… pending the price asked for the difference.

Anyway… if and when I get the panel of hardened glass, what advice do you all have for me placing it back in the frame?

I am guessing that I will be needing either silicone, to secure the glass panel into the frame, either via caulking, or by buying a roll of silicone edging of sorts? Apologies if I am not using the correct terminology, by the way.

I have an angle grinder, as well as a rotary tool that I hope with the correct attachment will allow me to at a reasonable pace (somehow though, I feel that it will be a slow and tedious one instead), that will all in all allow me to polish the edges, if I get an unpolished edge sheet. Once the edges have been totally polished, or once I get a polished edge sheet, then I envision that I will need to carefully cushion the sheet into the frame. Thereafter I feel that carefully placing the frame into the slots and caulking the frame where it is attached to both the wall and to the basin, followed up by affixing the door frame to the top of the panel frame with a screw, should do the trick. 24-48 hours later, it should be a fully functional shower cabin once more.

So now, please bring on the advice. All the “to do”s and the “do not”s.

Thanking you all for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Isa

isa
Growing in Experience

Re: Need advice on how to replace hardened glass in shower frame

Hello @Jewelleryrescue,

The toy seal was an image I found off of eBay 😅 just added it in for [beep]s and giggles.

The seal is surprisingly still supple. So the plan is to place the seal over the edges of the glass sheet, then to slide the frame over that. Would you still advise silicone to be used for any of the process to do that?

Yeah, not sure of the standards and all that in Victoria, where I live. That was the thickness of the glass piece I found sitting in the seal. I am extremely glad I found it there. I measured with my calliper, and it was a bit over 4mm.

The $250 was for 6mm. The price dropped to $225 once I got the 4mm quote. As for polycarbonate. . . Whilst the strength and cost of it is very tempting, I am a bit dubious about using it, to be honest. Reason being, I watched a doco in high school, about graffiti. A segment in it was about graffiti on public transport. They also mentioned that polycarbonate was cheaper than glass, however glass cleaned up better than the poly-c. The poly left a lot of scratch marks on it. Regardless, I will still have a look into it and see what I can source.

As usual, you are providing great advice, buddy. I appreciate that a lot. Thank you.

Hi @isa  I liked the seal pic and giggles the world needs a bit of humour again.

Yeah  I hear you i would  definatly hate graffiti artests using my shower and Poly  can be scratched too getting their paint off, lol  How ever that same scratching  lets it be polished to clear again I use brasso as a fine polish for poly.  But brasso  in shower is a bit to much  work even if you take their spray cans off them   (Furphy)

Glass is  harder and better for that application. Easier to clean.

Your seal sounds like it is in good condition so use it no Silicon required, Use soapy water as a lubricant to slide seal on if required and also into the frame,  Get some one to help hold the frame while you hold the glass use gloves in case edge is super sharp.

Tap the frame gently with white rubber hammer or lump of wood  if required to  seat the frame on the rubber if pushing alone not good.  I dont for see any  problems.

Well I think  we are on to a winner.  Sounds like you will be happy to fix this one less job to do.

isa
Growing in Experience

Hahahaha! Glad you liked the lightheartedness @Jewelleryrescue 🙌 As for that dig at my graffiti art/vandalism/whatever issue was not really for that purpose. . . I love it! I obviously unsuccessfully inferred that when the window (polycarbonate) gets whatever (hair dye comes to mind in particular, amongst other things) on it, it may still scuff up, after a thorough clean. I must say though that I like your furphy workaround with brasso! Bloody beaut! 🤣👍

Thank you once more. This time for the lump of wood, soapy water and extra pair of hands bit of advice 🙌

Hello @isa

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue and @MitchellMc. I'm just curious is there a particular reason why you wish to re-assemble the panel rather than getting a ready-to-go set such as the Estilo 900 x 1830mm Chrome Semi Frameless Shower Screen

However, if you've made up your mind my only recommendation is to assemble the glass panel while it is lying down. Constant moving and repositioning increase the likelihood of the glass hitting a solid corner and shattering. 

Please note that tempered or safety glass is under surface compression and although it is very difficult to break, sharp hard impacts to its surface or corners can cause the glass to fracture. Please take all possible safety precautions when fitting the frame back onto the glass. I propose covering the surface of the glass with a large towel while you are working on it.

Please remember that when working with glass, it's essential to wear gloves, safety glasses, a long sleeve shirt and pants and enclosed footwear. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
isa
Growing in Experience

Hello @EricL,

Yes, you are quite right. Everyone’s contribution is quite valid, and very much appreciated.

As for my insistence upon repairing the shower frame myself, this can be chalked up to a couple of things:

1- Budget/Finances. I find that this method is the most cost effective way, as I would otherwise have to spend even more, to go through Special Orders. If it were my own house, then I could perhaps justify this cost as an investment. Though unfortunately I am a tenant here. Even if I were to stuff up this exercise, a) I would gain experience with what not to do next time, and b) it would have been a total of two panels, still costing much less than a pre-made shower cabin.

2- None of the pre-made cabins fit within the required dimensions. Either they are at best 50mm too wide, and 100~200mm too tall, or in the case you kindly provided a link for, it unfortunately is 50mm too short and has a 50mm overhang. This then forces my hand to getting a custom made cabin, invariably jacking up the price.

However, man is that price phenomenally cheap! I feel that to go with this option, I may need another shower base. Or at the very least, remove the current one > tile and grout the floor, as well as the walls where the base used to sit up against, > finding the same tiles so as to have continuity > resize the drain to a lower profile to meet where the drain will now be seated > and possibly a host of other unknown variables. These are just a few  reasons for my reluctance to go down such a path and sticking to my thoughts regarding the issue.

Thank you for your input though. I am sure that some others may find it useful if they come across this thread.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects