Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My laundry reno

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My laundry reno

Finished.jpg

Sorry it’s taken me longer than expected to get this post up. Back on the Easter long weekend I dedicated my time to a few things around the house, including this laundry reno which is easily my favourite DIY project yet – next up is the kitchen and ensuite :smile:

Out with the old…

To kick things off I obviously started with a design courtesy of Leah (Mrs ProjectPete) and regardless of how simple or difficult it was, it had to be done :smile: Time to rip out old boring old stuff.

splashbackremoved1.jpgsinkremoved.jpgclearedout.jpg

Once it was all out it was time to get started on repainting the walls and repositioning the powerpoints to a) not interfere with the new wall-to-wall splashback, and b) be hidden under the new wall-to-wall benchtop.

Painting – As we planned to install overhead cabinetry we marked out their position to save time, paint and money on painting unnecessary areas of the wall.

Powerpoints – This was a simple case of marking out where the benchtop will be, channelling the wall to the new position and filling the channel to be painted over.

• Install the back and sides of the centre cabinet to get a level for the benchtop position first.
  • Channelling the wall with an angle grinder is super dusty so cover up surrounding areas and vacuum straight away.
  • To make repositioning the cables easier and the refilling easier/smoother, use some PVC or flexible gas piping as shown in the pics.
  • Refill the bulk of the channel with cement and finish it with a smooth spakfilla, sanding it back to finish flush and smooth with the wall.

ppointchannel1.jpgppointchannel2.jpgppointfill.jpg

During the above steps and continuing after I measured out the new benchtop requirements which included the overall length and the cutouts for the new sink. Following that I sanded and stained the benchtop with a total of 3 coats, sanding after the 1st and 2nd. A 4th and final coat was due once fully installed in the laundry.

Cutting to size – I cut the lengths with my new Bosch Circular Saw from good old Bunnings.

Sink cutout – This was a straight forward job with my Ryobi jigsaw.

Sanding – First pass with the sander is key, get it done with some power. Then it’s just a light hand sand between coats.

The join – I hid this as best I could by putting it right in the middle of the benchtop so the sink would cover most of the join. Given the small amount of space to make the join, and to achieve the strength I needed, I used 12.5mm dowel joins.

Staining/sealing - Ensure every square inch of the wood is stained/sealed, including where you make cuts. This is to prevent the wood warping, especially is a moisture-rich room such as a laundry. Thanks for the prompt to include this @Andy_Mann :wink:

benchprep.jpgbenchtopin.jpg

I love woodgrain!

grain1.jpggrain2.jpg

With the benchtop ready for install, it was slotted in and fixed to the brackets before getting started on the subway tile splashback. This video on Workshop from Bunnings was all I needed to install my first splashback.

• Protect the benchtop – the 4th and final coat is done once the splashback is up and the overhead cabinets installed.
  • The only thing I remember doing differently to the video was when grouting. Instead of smearing grout all over the tiles, pushing into the gaps then cleaning…I focused by application of grout to the gaps, pushed/smoothed them and had much less clean up to do.
  • Get that first row right. As long as it’s straight and level, the rest will flow nicely.
  • Cutting tiles – for tiles this small, use an angle grinder and a steady hand to cut to size. Don’t bother with a tile cutter.

sbackprep.jpgsback1.jpgsback2.jpg

With the splashback finished it’s time to install the overhead cabinets then get the sink/plumbing finished off and the doors on the centre cabinet. The last thing to do is fill/sand the join then give the benchtop a final sand and coat.

cabinetsin.jpg

And in with the new…

Sorry for the crappy lighting/photos but I think you get the idea :smile:

final1.jpgfinal4.jpg

before.after.jpg

I hope at least someone gets something out of this and I’m more than happy to answer more questions about specific stages, just thought this gives a pretty good overview.

Bottom line – have a vision, plan for it, be ready to adapt and just go for it. There were some ‘firsts’ for me in this project and I’m super stoked with how well it all turned out.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: My laundry reno

Great result @ProjectPete. Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will really inspire other community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@ProjectPete

G'day Pete

Congrats mate on another amazingly well thought out & executed masterpiece.

Leah must be loving the new fit out with all that storage, & that magnificent expanse of glorious wood benchtop is not only practical, but an absolute showpiece.

Now that I've got that out of the way, get off your butt & transform the kitchen. I'm dying to see how you do it. : )

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Great job @ProjectPete.

It's a big space. Were you tempted to reclaim some of it as per this discussion?

Honestly, didn't cross our minds. We have 292sqm of living space so aren't short of room and like things to be spacious. Although the ~4sqm of walk in linen closet and ~4sqm of walk in pantry might've been a tad too much :cheeky:

Our house is only 6 years old now and don't really have any structural changes planned, just 'cosmetic' really.

----------
Handy and helpful

@Andy_Mann

Don't know what's next yet, or when - will be a few months at least. Kitchen or ensuite. I'm thinking kitchen because everyone sees it but also thinking ensuite coz it's our space. I think what makes it harder to decide is, as our house is only 6 years old and we built it, there's nothing wrong with anything so we're ripping our good/"new" stuff just to make it look nicer :cheeky:

I do know we need to decide on our benchtop for the kitchen. I love wood and even the concrete/industrial style, but wifey wants stone (which I also like but I prefer uniqueness). But for the ensuite benchtop I've got some beautiful WA Marri lined up.

The ensuite will be a big job too with floor to ceiling tiles and small mosaic hexagons for the floor.

Will keep everyone posted.

----------
Handy and helpful
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@ProjectPete

All good mate, I'm sure that both projects will be hugely successful.

It's a good idea waiting a month or so, it'll give you time to work out what's going to be the right benchtop to make you all happy. I'm not against stone benchtops, other than it's just down to a selection process, & handing over your hard earned to have it supplied & fitted. Plus you have to fit in with their timetable.

Decisions, decisions.

Whadya reckon Pete, have dashed Leah's dream of the stone benchtop?

Blame me if she's not impressed, that's what mates are for. : P

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Sorry @ProjectPete, I'm on your wife's side. I would go with a stone benchtop. So easy and durable and look great. You can use timber elsewhere to give warmth, such as under the kitchen bench. Here's an example:

wood-in-kitchen.jpg

Certainly not opposed to stone @Isobel - it's most likely the ay we'll go :smile: Thanks for sharing the pic
----------
Handy and helpful
davehutchy
Cultivating a Following

Very impressive tiling job. Looks very professional. Well done.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects