Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace semi deep seat spindle with 1/4 turn spindle?

sunnypatel
Just Starting Out

How to replace semi deep seat spindle with 1/4 turn spindle?

I have a traditional old full turn shower tap at my home. My sons find it difficult to use because they are too hard to shut them off completely.

Therefore, thought of upgrading to 1/4 turn spindle. I ordered the new tapware and after looking at some videos started the project to change the taps.

But I encountered a major issue. I discovered that the current spindle that I have got is a semi deep seat which has some sort of a extension piece. See pictures attached. I was also not able to pull out the washer.

I need advice as to what I should be doing to address this issue.

see highlighted washedsee highlighted washedWasher stuck inside the bodyWasher stuck inside the bodyExtension barrelExtension barrelExisting spindle with extension pieceExisting spindle with extension piece 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace semi deep seat spindle with 1/4 turn spindle?

Hello @sunnypatel 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your tapware.

What you currently have is a standard Shaw & Mason Chrome Plated Wall Spindle that has a Kinetic 15mm Wall Tap Spindle Extender - 2 Pack. It's possible that the current spindle is already worn out and that's why it is difficult to use. The good news is that the spindle can be replaced, but I suggest keeping the spindle extender as it can be used again. 

In order to remove the jumper valve that is stuck inside your tap body, I suggest using a 200mm Long Nose Pliers. You'll need to grab on to the jumper valve stem and slowly pull it out. I highly recommend using the Enduraseal 12mm Copper Tap Valves to replace your old ones, these are soft type valves and are easy to use.

In regards to changing over to ceramic tapware, I'm afraid your only option is to call in a registered plumber to change your tap body in the wall into a standard depth set. I'm sorry but the store currently does not have a deep seat ceramic spindle set. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I won't be able to pull out Enduraseal 12mm copper tap valves with long nose pliers. Because the assembly seems to be as per the attached pictures.

Step 1 - Put the valve behind the extension piece

Step 2 - Insert the spindle cylinder

Step 3 - Screw this assembly onto the tap body

Step 4 - Screw the spindle

Step 2 - Step 1Step 1Step 1Step 1Step 2Step 2

I was wondering if I can use Kinetic 28mm Ceramic Disc Spindle extender(see below)? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

sunnypatel_0-1706590298088.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sunnypatel 

Thanks for the clarification, if that is the case, I suggest removing the extension piece currently screwed to your tap body so that you can replace the jumper valve. In regards to the ceramic spindle extenders, it is difficult to tell unless you test it first. It might not be long enough to reach the deep seat of the tap body. 

In an ideal world everything would be standardized, and you could fit parts in with confidence. Unfortunately, this is not the case, I leave the choice up to you if you wish to test it. If you are lucky the extension will sit in neatly and you'll be able to use a ceramic spindle.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects