Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace flywire at top of bathroom window?

Mike_C
Finding My Feet

How to replace flywire at top of bathroom window?

I have a small unit with a bathroom window that has a 75mm flywire section at the top of the window. It does not seem to have the normal flywire grooves and spline holding the flywire in place.

Any ideas on how to replace the flywire, please?

Kind regards

Bathroom Window.jpg

Mike 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to replacing flywire at top of bathroom window?

Hi @Mike_C,

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and encourage you to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share with other members.

Could we please trouble you for a photo of the inside of the window? I understand it might not be a traditional flyscreen, but if you could please try to show how the screen might be held in place our members will be in a better position to suggest next steps. We do have a step-by-step guide by Workshop member @Tara86 covering How to replace a flyscreen, but happy to assist with your specific problem.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mike_C 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing the flywire at the top of your bathroom window. Some assemblies use PVC channels to cover the flywire assembly like in this discussion - How can I fix this odd fly wire set up on toilet window? by @mich1972. However, other modern fittings use aluminium to cover the access to the flywire assembly. 

A close-up photo of the flywire frame will definitely help our members assess its assembly. We can then provide recommendations on how to replace it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hello

Thanks a lot to those who replied. House is down south so will take photos next time I am down and post them for more advice.

Cheers

MIke

Hello All

Pictures below. Hopefully you can zoom in and have a look at jhow the flywire is fitted to the window.

(And yes I know the lintels need rust stabilising and repainting - one of the other jobs to do).

InsideInsideInsideInsideInsideInsideOutside - binding seems to be plastic rather than rubberOutside - binding seems to be plastic rather than rubberOutsideOutside

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mike_C 

Thanks for posting those extra pictures of your bathroom window. If you have a look at the fifth and final picture you posted, you'll notice that the rubber pieces holding the flywire in place have deteriorated. I believe this is where you need to begin your investigation with its assembly.

I propose looking behind the rubber gasket at the top and see if the flywire is held in place by double sided tape or silicone. This will be your starting point and from there you'll be able to determine how the rest of the flywire is fixed in place.

I strongly suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How can I fix this odd fly wire set up on toilet window? by @mich1972. It's an excellent example of how to put new flywire on your bathroom window.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing new flywire installed in your window.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects