Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace fly screen door lock?

Wilson2207
Just Starting Out

How to replace fly screen door lock?

Hi I would like to replace the old fly screen door lock to a new door lock.

I don't know how to pick up the right size of door lock to fit in.

Or are all the door lock in common size and fit in easily?

I have attached photos for current door lock.

Can someone give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

Regards,

Wilson 

IMG20231217130646.jpg

IMG20231217131000.jpg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to replace fly screen door lock?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Wilson2207. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find our site a handy resource for all your home improvement and garden projects.

Thanks for your question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide some advice on replacing your door lock as soon as he can. Let me also tag @Jewelleryrescue@Nham and @darylhewston if they have any thoughts in the meantime.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Wilson2207 

I must admit I didnt know a lot about the door locks until I had to renovate my screen door.

I would suggest to remove the old lock first and take a trip into Bunnings with it, that way you can line up the old lock and match it with a replacement one and not have to worry about any holes not being where they are on your door.

Front entrance door renovation  is my project and step 4 at the bottom of the page. 

It took a bit to figure out how to remove the lock, the thing I kept in mind "there should be no force needed" as logicaly it should all slot together ion some kind of sequence.

Id also like to offer a warm welcome to the Bunnings community, A lot of fun projects and how to's plus answers are in here, take a stroll and I gaurentee you will end up with a list a mile long of what you want to do!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wilson2207 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing your fly screen door lock. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. His recommendation is spot on regarding getting a compatible locking set. It's important that you bring it with you to the store to make sure that the new locking system will be the same size and shape so that it fits into the existing cutout in your fly screen door.

My best advice is to not damage the old fittings. The reason for this is should you need to do a special order for the replacement set, you can temporarily use the old set to keep your door closed until the new locking set arrives.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects