Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair hinge on aluminium screen door?

Lisa7788
Just Starting Out

How to repair hinge on aluminium screen door?

WIN_20231223_22_06_22_Pro.jpg

Looking for advise on how I can affix the hinge back to the screen door?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Aluminium screen door

Hi @Lisa7788 

Probably the best easiest solution assuming that hinge is still functional is put in larger( Fatter screws! )  counter sunk screw heads that will bite into the metal in the frame and tighten up and hold well.   Ideally use a  cordless screw driver to assist here.

If you have a some spare screws  lying around house  find 3 that fit and screw in tight.  If not pick the largest screw and take it to bunnings to get the  next size up in  larger size screws. Ask at Bunning to help with next screw size (ie a lower Guage)

Hope his is easy for you/.  Even if you have only 2 screws in that is  quite good.

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Re: Aluminium screen door

Hello @Lisa7788 I am a big fan of the tech screws and self tapping screws @Jewelleryrescue has suggested which will work well but prefer to use pot rivets as it provides a more secure fitment as screws can over time work loose due to the different nature of how they are designed to work.

Screws rely on the host material clamping (biting) into the threads.

Pot rivets clamp the 2 surfaces from behind/within the host material over a larger area.

If you do opt for the screws it might be prudent to also apply a liberal coat of a thread locking compound such as Locktite

https://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-243-10ml-adhesive-threadlocker_p1560362

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to repair hinge on aluminium screen door?

Hi @Lisa7788 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @DIYGnome and @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at the Craftright Rivet Gun Set. This is a full-blind rivet set with multiple heads and comes with a set of rivets. This will allow you to compare the rivet head that you have attached to the door.

To remove the old rivet, you'll need to use a drill and a drill bit to drill the center of the old rivet. This will split it apart and you'll be able to remove it. If you've not used a rivet gun before, I propose practicing on a thin piece of wood or steel before committing to the repair.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Happy Holidays!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair hinge on aluminium screen door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lisa7788. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about re-attaching a hinge.

I believe that using pop rivets would be the best solution. Screws are an option, but I'm concerned that the thickness of their head might interfere with the operation of the hinge.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects