Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I change my rainfall shower to a handheld shower?

ypcme
Just Starting Out

Can I change my rainfall shower to a handheld shower?

  Hi everyone! Newbie here 😊

I was hoping to get some advice around whether it would be possible to change my current rainfall shower into a handheld shower myself at all? Or whether I would need to hire someone to do it. 

I’ve attached some pictures of my current shower! 

Thanks! 

IMG_9005.jpeg

IMG_9003.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I change my rainfall shower to a handheld shower?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ypcme. We're pleased to have you join us.

This is a common project. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts has written a guide How to change a shower head which would be a good place to start. You'll also get great advice from these previous discussions:

Have a read of those discussions, pick a handheld unit you'd like to install from the Bunnings range,  and let us know if you have any specific questions about the installation. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ypcme
Just Starting Out

Thanks Jason! I’ve had a look at them before.

I guess I was more looking at whether I would be able to detach it from the wall and go from there, but I have no idea how to disassemble it from the wall to install a handheld shower! 😂

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ypcme 

I suggest running your fingers around the mounting post of the shower arm. Somewhere along there is a small hole with a grub screw that's holding the shower arm assembly in place. Once you locate the grub screw hole, I recommend using an Allen key to remove the grub screw and pull or turn the entire shower arm assembly.

The chrome piece that is protruding out of the wall can either be turned anti-clockwise or pulled off. Please have a good look and give this method a try. My best advice is to not use any excessive force when taking this shower assembly apart.

However, if after a lot of searching nothing reveals itself, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Happy Holidays!

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ypcme,

As @redracer01 has mentioned, the assembly on your wall likely unscrews off. Have a look for the grubscrew mentioned, but also try gripping the entire showerhead/arm and gently rotating the whole assembly anti-clockwise. It will likely unscrew from the wall, leaving an exposed threaded copper pipe. You can then follow this guide: How to change a showerhead.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects