Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate my laundry?

Deeks66
Getting Established

How to renovate my laundry?

Laundry Current.jpg

I am really desperately looking for ideas to renovate our laundry! It is such a small and Awkard space I don't know if it can be renovated or if it can just really be modernized with a few decorative changes! 

In a perfect world I would love to put the washer and a dryer in the space where the cupboard currently is, however, I worry the door being there will interfere with the functionality. And I know moving plumbing can be tricky!!

I have attached 2 "idea" photos and a photo of the current laundry and floor plan. Would really appreciate some help with ideas and designs!!

Laundry.jpgLaundry 1.jpgLaundry Floor plan.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate my laundry?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Deeks66. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about renovating a laundry.

You might like to start by reading through this article on How to plan a laundry renovation and then checking out our Top 10 most popular laundry renovations for inspiration.

If you were to move the washer and dryer into the linen closet, it appears you'd need to open up the area by removing the partition wall on either side. You could then add bi-fold doors to enclose the space. My only question would be, if you move the sink and appliances into the linen closet, what will you use the rest of the room for?

I've put together a few renderings below for you of how you could use the space based on your measurements. Let me know what you think.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

You’re a legend!

I do like the ones where the Machines are in the Cupboard area, would I have to move the sink for plumbing purposes? 

the rest of the space would be used as storage to compensate for taking away the cupboard. 

I just don’t think we will fit both machines and a sink where the sink is now unless we moved it over and stacked the machines by the wall of the internal entrance? 

Would it be easier to NOT move the machines/sink, for the sake of plumbing purposes?

thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Obviously, there would be less cost involved if the sink and washer were left where they are, close to a water source and plumbing @Deeks66.  

Washer and dryer are typically 600mm wide, give or take a few centimetres. Unless you wanted an ultra-skinny sink, you'd need 1200mm for the appliances and 450mm for the sink cabinet. So 1650mm from the door to the wall to fit the machines and sink there.

Mitchell

Thank you, you have been super helpful.

Another thing I am trying to figure out is how to make our Kitchen more spacious but also adding certain features. We want there to be adequate space for cooking on the stove so moving the wall right next to it is our priority. However, we also want to include a dishwasher, Inbuilt microwave Space and incorporate dining as well as currently the area is small and awkward for a family to sit and eat. (The table is pushed to the wall as to not cramp the space. You seem pretty creative, and I was hoping you could think of a way to incorporate all this whilst keeping a nice spacious kitchen.

I have thought of extending it around from the living room wall to the laundry and using an island bench as "Dining" Or even a U shape kitchen and same again using the Bench as "dining" but would love to see your ideas!

Kitchen Floorplan.JPGKitchen1.jpgKitchen.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Have you considered removing or minimising the wall between the kitchen and family room, creating an open plan space, @Deeks66? You could also extend the bench down to give you room for the dishwasher and cooking space.

Mitchell

We were hoping to do that however we believe that wall is load bearing and have been told we cannot remove it. How can we confirm whether it is or isn't a Load Bearing Wall?

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You'd need an engineer or builder to review the roof structure to determine if the wall is load-bearing @Deeks66. In most cases, you can still remove a load-bearing wall, but before you do, you must install additional beams to support the roof. Unfortunately, this can get a bit costly, depending on what needs to be done.

If you were to shift the fridge to the other side, it does appear to open up the space. A dining setting or island could be accommodated.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Deeks66 

In order to maximize the space, I suggest removing the dining table and building a two-level island. The island is made up of two levels, one side is at 700mm in height which serves as your dining table and the tall side is 900mm which can be used for food preparation. I've moved your fridge and pantry all the way to the end to allow you to have more cooking space.

I've placed a sample sketch of your kitchen below, please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you wish to change the configuration, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to re-draw it for you.

Eric

Deeks66 kitchen1.jpgDeeks66 kitchen2.jpgDeeks66 kitchen3.jpgDeeks66 kitchen4.jpgDeeks66 kitchen5.jpgDeeks66 kitchen6.jpgDeeks66 kitchen7.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects