Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reno our european laundry on a budget?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

How to reno our european laundry on a budget?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey legends! I’m a young, amateur trying to DIY to save $$! We need to renovate our European laundry to fit our new dryer on top of the washing machine! I’m pretty sure the shelf can be taken out as it has screws in it but how can we renovate this on a budget and keep it looking aesthetic pleasing? We have an extractor fan in the ceiling too so that’s no issue, but thinking about how I could make some bench space? Also hate how the doors open like this because the hallway is only tiny!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to reno our european laundry on a budget?

Hello @SarahK1996 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your laundry renovation.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to plan a laundry renovation by @Adam_W. The questions and suggestions in the guide should give you a very good idea of the things you'll need to consider when you start making your laundry renovation plan.

It's important to set out an actual budget that you're willing to spend for this refit. There are ways and means to give your laundry a quick makeover without spending a great deal. With some smart choices on benchtop and cabinetry you'll be able to give this area a new look.

Here is a link handy link for ideas and inspiration - Top 10 most popular laundry renovation projects

I also recommend having a look at this featured project - Budget Bunnings laundry renovation by @prettyliving. This is an excellent example of what you can do with a few choice pieces and smart decorating. 

I've drawn up a sample sketch below to give you a few ideas on what you can do with the laundry layout.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @lifestylebymari and @prettyliving for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

Eric! You’re a legend! That is so incredibly helpful! Thankyou so much! Even a sketch! You are a superstar. I’ll definitely check out all those links this long weekend and get to work! 

Hi @SarahK1996,

It's great to see that you found @EricL's renderings helpful. Please keep us updated on your project and reach out if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks so much!

I actually wondered, the bracket to put the dryer up, could this be done if we don't have studs in that area?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SarahK1996 

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to mount a dryer with no studs? by @bect73. You'll see some excellent suggestions and a fantastic diagram that will show you what you need to do when mounting a dryer in an area where the studs are not in the right position.

I also recommend having a look at this guide - How to use a stud finder. This guide will help you properly locate the position of the studs in your wall and allow you to position the panel that you'll need to use for your dryer.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

That is awesome Eric! Thanks so much!

Do Bunnings do hire of stud finders? I have only found in store to purchase and they are a bit more than what I can spend!

Hi @SarahK1996,

Unfortunately, we don't hire stud finders. The Stanley 19mm S110 Stud Finder is the most budget-friendly of the bunch.

Sometimes if you take a look at the wall, you'll be able to detect areas where the plaster has been fixed to the studs. Also, lightly tapping along the wall will sound hollow until you tap on top of a stud. You can drive a nail in to confirm there's timber behind the plaster.

Mitchell

Hey Mitchell!

omg that’s so helpful! Thanks so much! That’s in my budget for sure! For some reason I could initially only find them for a few hundred!

Thanks so so much! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects