Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove taps with putty around them?

magdalini
Getting Established

How to remove taps with putty around them?

Hi would love information the shower is leaking I replaced washer but now need to replace washer in taps but how do I get to it as putty around taps not sure what I should do the entire bathroom needs upgrading 

IMG_8504.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: my shower is leaking but shall i remove plaster to change washer

Hello @magdalini 

Thanks for sharing your question about your wall taps. In order to get to the wall taps cover flange, I suggest removing the handles first. Once the handles are off, you'll need to determine if a hard adhesive was used or silicone that's badly spread out. I propose using a Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades and test if you can scrape off the adhesive or silicone.

Once you have removed adhesive or silicone, hold the cover flange and see if you can twist it anti-clockwise. It may take several tries so keep turning. If it refuses to budge, it's likely that they have used the same adhesive inside the flange. If after several tries and the flange will not twist off, I propose using a Haron 10" Slip Joint Pliers to grab on to the body and twist it off. 

Please note that using the tool on the body of the flange will destroy the surface of the flange and you will need to replace it. I propose looking at the Estilo Chrome Wall Top Assembly Set as a possible replacement.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to replace a tap washer

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
magdalini
Getting Established

Thank you for your help it seem cracking around taps shall I remove putty that is around it and when I put taps back on what can I use to patch it up thank you

Hi @magdalini,

It appears that a cement grout has been used to seal around your taps, which is not a conventional method. Once you've chipped it away and repaired your tap, a simple bead of white wet area silicone is all that's needed to seal around the tap flange.

Here's a helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Mitchell

Thank you I’m going to Bunnings today there really helpful as my front door lock is broken too I’ve taken deadlock off 

Keep us updated, @magdalini, and please reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects