Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove shower taps?

alwyntn
Getting Established

How to remove shower taps?

20230802_151736.jpg

Hi All,

I need to fix leaking shower head but having issue remove both turners 😞.

Any idea how to or way to remove stuck turner?

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: remove tap tuners need help

Hello @alwyntn 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing your cross-tap handles. I suggest feeling around the back of the handle to see if there are any hidden grub screw locations. 

Cross handles will often get stuck for two reasons. First, it has a hidden fixing in it like a small grub screw that prevents you from pulling it out. Second, the former plumber glued it in place which means that you'll need to use an adjustable wrench to tap the handle from behind in order to loosen it up.

I propose trying both methods and see if you get any results. If the handle still wont move, can I please request for a closer photo of the handle from the front and the back. Our members can then asses how it is attached. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

I also recommend having a look at this step-by-step guide: How to replace a tap washer

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alwyntn
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have double checked there is no grub screw anywhere around the handle. 

I have also tried tap the handle from behind but dont have much space between handle and wall for me to tap it hard enough. 

Have sprayed some WD40 on it but no luck moving it either.

20230802_183653.jpg

20230802_183622.jpg

Any other idea?

Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alwyntn 

I propose trying this technique. Using your adjustable wrench turn it around and use the handle to tap the top end of the cross from behind. Just a steady tapping motion about ten times. Repeat the same action but this time at the bottom of the cross handle. Keep tapping until the scale buildup inside the tap begins to crack. Alternate your tapping from behind the handle and do the sides of the cross handle as well.

Unfortunately, there is just a large buildup of limescale which has deposited itself on the post of the spindle. It will be necessary to crack and remove the limescale before the handle comes off. Please be patient as this process will take some time, but if you keep at it, the handle will come off.

Eric

alwyntn
Getting Established

Thanks Eric ! Will try that tomorrow.

AS19
Growing in Experience

Did you manage to get the taps off in the end alwyntn? I’m having the same problem!

UPDATE - A combination of Scalex solution and the tapping technique mentioned by Eric worked in the end! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's sensational to hear that you resolved the issue @AS19. Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects