Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove shower screen mould?

Euroka
Just Starting Out

How to remove shower screen mould?

Can you please advise how to remive black mould from our shower screen?

IMG_2176.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shower Screen Mould

Hi @Euroka,

Thank you for your question on removing black mould around your shower screen.

Due to the location of the mould, I believe that it is growing in the aluminium channel that the shower screen sits in. This can pose some issues with getting to the source.

You could remove the surface mould using a product such as 30 Seconds 1L Mould Off and a scourer, following all manufacturer's instructions for use and being aware that glass can shatter easily so all necessary precautions should be taken. This includes wearing gloves, a mask, eye protection, long pants, long sleeved shirt and enclosed shoes.

If the mould is growing in the channel as I suspect, you will likely have trouble neutralising the mould deeper in the aluminium channel. You may need to enlist the services of a glazier to remove the glass so both the edge of the glass and the channel can be cleaned prior to reinstalling and sealing with silicone to prevent further water ingress.

Let me know if you have other questions or require further assistance.

Jacob

Euroka
Just Starting Out

Thank you for you reply Jacob, I have tried to remove the mould but it  can’t be simply rubbed off it seems to be inside the glass of the screen. Could there be two sheets of glass making up the shower screen?

Regards,

Euroka

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Euroka,

Yes, laminated glass is very common. It is a type of safety glass consisting of two or more layers of glass bonded together by a strong interlayer. The primary characteristic of laminated glass is its ability to remain intact when shattered. Where regular glass will break into shards, the interlayer will hold the glass together upon impact reducing the risk of injury. 

If the mould has penetrated between the glass layers, the only solution I see is to remove and replace the glass. I suggest you contact a professional to replace the glass. You could use a service such as Hipages or True Local to find a glazier in your area.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects