Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from a wall?

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

How to remove paint from a wall?

Hi all, is there a easier way to remove paint? This is my ensuite wall. Some parts of the paint are peeling off easily and others are stuck on and a lot harder to scrape off. Im stripping the paint back to the plasterboard and starting over but its taking me so long. Have I bitten more than I can chew? Please help! Thank you

20231117_112341.jpg

20231117_112358.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove paint

Hi @Glorz,

In a perfect situation, it would be great if all the paint came off easily by scraping. However, if you've run into stubborn sections that are well adhered, you could swap to an electric sander. Either sand the paint off completely or feather the edges of the remaining paint to blend it in. You'd then be able to prime the wall and apply a couple of topcoats. With feathered edges and three coats, you shouldn't be able to see the transition between the areas where you've been able to remove the paint and those where you weren't.

Ideally, you'd want to remove all the paint, but if it's still adhered well, that will be problematic. Provided you get back to sound paint, feather the edges, and apply a quality primer, you should achieve results similar to removing all the paint.

Remember your PPE when sanding, including a face mask and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

What does "feather the edges" mean and how would I do that? 

Would it be okay to use Crommelin Aqua Block as a primer on the walls? Then dulux as the top coat?

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Paint has a thickness to it @Glorz. So, where the paint has been removed will be lower than the areas where the paint remains, creating an edge. It's a relatively harsh transition in height, which will be noticeable through your final coat. To prevent this, we need to sand the transition line between the remaining paint and the bare surface. Take some 240-grit sandpaper and run it back and forth between the bare surface and the paint. This knocks down the step between heights and feathers the edge of the old paint, so it's a smooth transition. Run your fingertips from the bare surface to the painted area. When you hit the paint, you'll be able to feel the transition. We want to smooth this out so you can't feel it. If you can't feel it with your fingertips, it's a good indication that you won't see the transition after your final coat.

If you're experiencing moisture issues with the wall, then the Crommelins product would be suitable. If not, I suggest a standard primer like Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L.

Mitchell

Glorz
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Mitchell! Really appreciate the time you take on explaining things. Will give this a try and hope for the best. Cheers 🙂

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Kep us updated @Glorz and reach out if you have further questions or get stuck; we're here to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects