Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove leaking laundry tap handle?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to remove leaking laundry tap handle?

A few months back a plumber fixed a leaking pipe and I asked him to stop the laundry tap from dripping. His young apprentice did this - but its now leaking more.     I would like to take off the handle and see if it needs some more plumbers tape - but I'm not sure how to take off the handle - it doesn't seem to pull off - what to do?

laundry tap.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: leaking laundry tap

Hello @ennoh 

I've placed some images below to give you a better idea of how the handle pieces go together. In the meantime, don't make the handle assembly any tighter. Can you please remove the round brass threaded locking nut as well as the brass horseshoe. These parts need to go on the spindle first before you screw them on the handle. Please have a look at the sketch and let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric!!   Those diagrams were very helpful as they showed the exact placement of the individual parts.     I have successfully fixed the leaky taps.  Couldnt have done it without your help.  Thanks!!!!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm so pleased to hear that @EricL's assistance was helpful, @ennoh.

Well done!

Mitchell

And another well done!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

Removing a stuck tapered flange seems to be one of those D.I.Y. projects where we can all collectively agree it's a pain in the butt and breath a sigh of relief when the job is done. I'd propose that finally removing one produces a euphoric feeling similar to that of creating fire with your bare hands. The ability to remove a conical fixture with no points of purchase is truly an impressive feat indeed.

Mitchell

Totally agree ! @MitchellMc 

I'm certain there was conversation in a plumbing design office years ago...

"That looks great Bob - but will they be able to remove that conical bit easily?"

"Who cares Ralph - once sold, it's their problem!"

😒

Hi @MitchellMc 

"I'd propose that finally removing one produces a euphoric feeling similar to that of creating fire with your bare hands.

It certainly does. Even better is performing an autopsy on them once removed. The hot water conical flange was so adhered, when multi-grips were applied, the entire spindle moved with it. I'm wondering where you live and the water quality affects the amount of scale seen? Some of that scale is as hard as bone.

In the end - I used an angle grinder and hacksaw for the incisions. Autopsy photos below.

The lower photo, shows what you can be up against when using those fragile 'circlip' looking spanners.

20230417_110254.jpg

20230417_110519.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects