Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove dark stain on shower area floor?

hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

How to remove dark stain on shower area floor?

Hi

I can see some stain marks on the show area floor. Near the entrance. Again not sure what is causing this as the stain isn't present in other areas and the shower area is cleaned every week. Any suggestion how to get rid of them?

IMG_0707 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dark stain on shower area floor

Hi @hisumesh,

You can see from the stain's shape that they are watermarks. Commonly these are referred to as hard water stains and are caused by iron or calcium in your water supply. When the water evaporates from your shower floor, minerals are left on the tiles. Over time this builds up into brown staining. Common shower cleaning products do not address this build-up and concentrate more on soap scum and body oils. To remove these stains, it requires an acidic cleaner. Unfortunately, acid cleaners also attack your tile surfaces. I'd suggest you attempt to first remove the stains with the most non-aggressive and commonly available acid, cleaning vinegar

Create a diluted mixture of two-parts water to one-part vinegar and apply it to a small section in the corner of the shower where the staining is present. Allow it to sit for ten minutes, and then use a sponge, scrubbing brush or mildly abrasive scourer to agitate the solution. Wipe the area with a cloth and check to see if the staining has diminished. It might take several applications to break down the staining. Remember to flush the tiles off with fresh water after cleaning to remove the vinegar. If it is successful, you can clean the tiles down with this solution every few months to keep this staining under control. If the stains are stubborn, you might need to add more vinegar to your solution or use it neat.

Remember your PPE, including rubber gloves and eye protection.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

Re: Dark stain on shower area floor

Thanks a lot @MitchellMc . Let me give it a go. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects