Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove capstan tap handle?

DaisyMae
Finding My Feet

How to remove capstan tap handle?

We have old capstan taps in the sink in the bathroom which need replacing. The tap we're trying to remove doesn't engage and just keeps spinning round. We've tried a tap puller but it still doesn't budge. We can't see any grub screws etc holding it on. Any suggestions please?IMG_0180.jpegIMG_0181.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove capstan tap handle?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @DaisyMaeIt's wonderful to have you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects.

Sorry to hear about your stuck tap handle. I'm sure our knowledgeable D.I.Y. experts and community members will be happy to assist. Let me call upon the ever-helpful @Jewelleryrescue@Nailbag and @Noyade for their thoughts. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tap handle removal problem

Hello @DaisyMae 

Thanks for sharing your question about your wall taps. These taps must have been imported into the country at some point back in the 2000's. You'll notice how they have threaded fittings on the spindle body and there is no place to slot in a standard shifter. Unfortunately, it is not a standard fitting. 

Whereas the majority of the wall taps today are single body spindles easily accessed and removed. In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. Due to the uniqueness of the fitting, it's best to get a professional in to take it apart. Should any damage occur, the plumber will have the means to repair it onsite. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Eric, you're sooo helpful! 😄 That confirms what we suspected ... the previous owner of the house was Italian, and  many of the other bathroom fittings were imported too. Thank you for putting our minds at rest that it's not us being dense - it's an unusual situation! DaisyMae. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DaisyMae 

I'm glad I could help. Please make sure to have a peek on how the plumber removes the spindle. It would definitely be handy information to have for the future.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Hello @DaisyMae quite an interesting fixture you have there, looks like it might require a compression fitting spanner (these are much thinner than the automotive type) similar to those used for Beer Keg pressure line connections, I would imagine the spanner holds the shaft whilst the handle is threaded on and tightened... will look forward to your update, I am most curious as to the outcome/process. 

Imported Tap Fixture.jpgCompression Fitting Spanner.jpg

Thank you, Mr Gnome 🙂 - we were looking into that and decided on a cone spanner (as used by cyclists) which is 2mm thick. We'll have a look at beer keg spanners too.

Can I tell whether the thread on this is compatible with UK taps? It looks rather fine ...

Hello @DaisyMae going any further would be into the realm of best guesses... but I am curious as to what the fixture looks like in the valve open stage whilst you have the mains water shut off (top down view preferable), I am uncertain as to exactly what part of the fixture moves when open. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects