Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a stripped screw?

Cat234
Finding My Feet

How to remove a stripped screw?

Hi, i was taking my washing machine apart (partially) to replace the door seal, but ive been waylaid by one screw that wont come out no matter what i do. 

I've tried wd40, rubber bands, drilling it out. I've even gotten a screw extractor kit (although perhaps not a great one) and that's not working either. It's screwed into plastic and i'm wondering if i've made it worse by over drilling!

Any suggestions much appreciated - even if its for a better type of screw extractor. 

Thanks, 
Cathy 

image0.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a screw stuck in washing machine?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Cat234. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a stuck screw.

If the screw head is stripped, an extractor would be the way to go. Which one have you tried so far? I'd imagine something like the Sutton Tools No1 Easy Out Extractor Screw Set would do the job. Alternatively, you could drill the screw head out completely, but that might cause issues if the screw is necessary for the door's operation.

If you can let our helpful members know which type of extractor you've already tried, then I'm sure they'll be able to come up with other suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects