Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hide gap between benchtop and wall?

dchur
Building a Reputation

How to hide gap between benchtop and wall?

Hey team,

We're nearing the end of our laundry renovation and have a few things to tidy up including an annoying gap between the benchtop and the wall.

The wall isn't plumb, and rotating it to make the gap smaller isn't an option because it would make the overhang on the cupboards at a noticeable angle.

The gap at the front where it's at its largest is 6mm and tapers back from there.

From what I can see my options are:

1) Gap filler rod with silicone on top

2) Tile over the wall area

3) moulding to cover it

3b) same as 3 but waterfall the moulding

With option 1 I'm not sure having a massive bead of silicone will look nice.

With options 2 and 3 it does cover where the join is, but you'd see it at the very front so that may be offputting.

Keen to get your thoughts on the best approach here.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 12.44.51 pm.png

This is what option 3b would look like roughly, and it actually what i'm leaning toward now because it covers the front face entirely.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 9.00.58 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hide gap between benchtop and wall?

Hi @dchur 

It's unfortunate that the wall is not square. Between the silicone, tiling and the cornice. I suggest the cornice, specifically the Porta 6 x 6mm 2.4m Moulding Tasmanian Oak Quad Select. This is about as slim a timber mould as you can get to cover the gap. 

It has a rounded front and a very low profile. If painted properly you should be able to match it to your benchtops finish. In this manner it will not be very noticeable and won't look very bulky.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno and @Peggers for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects