Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get the Microcement look on bathroom walls?

alyse
Just Starting Out

How to get the Microcement look on bathroom walls?

Hello! We are about to start renovating our bathroom (on a budget). We love the look of Microcement but are curious if it is possible to apply DIY and a rough cost. The bathroom itself is small and a wet room bathroom hence why we would like to try this rather then tile the whole room. 

Looking at this online there aren’t many kits or diy options but noticed Dulux does make some. Has anyone used this? Any advice would be lovely. 

photo for reference of desired vibe. 

IMG_1455.png

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: microcement for bathroom walls

Hi @alyse,

Congrats on your first post! And I am loving your vibe photo, I can see why you want to achieve this look. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online this afternoon but let me also tag in members who have used the Dulux Effects range @abhayks@lauraahearn, and @jennih to see what advice they have to share. In the meantime, I suggest you check out the video for Dulux design concrete effect paint to get an idea of how to apply it and the materials you need to gather some costs. 

Sounds like you have a great project ahead of you, please keep us updated with photos along the way!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get the Microcement look on bathroom walls?

Hello @alyse 

Thanks for sharing your question about Microcement. Dulux does have a product called Dulux Creativo Microcement and currently retails at $382.15 for 24kg. This is for their basic kit as there are quite a few options available. However, this product is not recommended for D.I.Y and requires training and experience to apply.

I'm afraid I can only suggest using larger tiles like the Bellazza 60 x 60cm 1.08m² Crema Porcelain Floor And Wall Tile. You can reduce the grout profile to 1.5mm which will give you a much more unified look. I then recommend combining it with the Dulux Special Effects paint in the non-wet areas to give you that rendered look.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @alyse,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. And especially seeing how you can make your mark on your bathroom.

I trust Eric's reply was useful, but please let us know if you need further assistance. 

Jason

Beth2
Just Starting Out

Hi @alyse, thanks for posting, I’m looking to do the same thing, or maybe even the living room walls. Loving microcement finishes right now too. How did you go?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @Beth2. It's great to have you join in the discussion.

Hopefully @alyse will get back to us about whether she progressed with this project. If you need a hand with your own, please don't hesitate to hit the Ask a question button anytime. We're here to help.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects