Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shower door that doesn't shut completely?

barydos
Having an Impact

How to fix shower door that doesn't shut completely?

Hi all,

Me again with another question this time for the bathroom shower.

There's just a bit of an issue of the (swing) door that always opens slightly ajar. It's possible to shut it completely, but when you let go, it'll return to the ajar position.

What is the reason for this, and how can I fix it? Here are some photos:

front-view.jpgfront-view-close-up.jpgfront-view-top-hinge.jpginside-view.jpgtop-view.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix shower door that doesn't shut completely

Hi @barydos,

In those hinges, there are typically a couple of detents that, when the door is closed hold it in that position. If this isn't a new installation, I'd suggest that those detents have worn down and cannot hold the door in place. The frame is likely on a slight lean, so the door is finding it's natural resting place.

Solving the issue might prove to be a little difficult and take some ingenuity. Perhaps if you found a clear vinyl bumper of the correct thickness, you could stick them on the frame on the handle side of the door. The idea would be that the edge of the door would contact them and then be pulled close over the top of them. Their friction would then stop the door from opening by itself. Fixing some self-adhesive magnets to the door and frame could also be an option.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if they have some nifty ideas.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Very belated comment to close out this thread with what I ended up doing.

On the frame, there was a round-ish insert spanning the height of the shower screen which I guess would prevent door slams - this was a problem without a flat surface the adhesive magnetic strip would not work well here.

(insert removed)

showerScreenFrame.jpg

I remove that insert and used liquid nail to get the magnetic strip on, and added some adhesive bumpers as you suggested (to act as a stopper in place of the removed insert). 

Finally I added a seal on the bottom of the door (similar to this https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-6-x-1000mm-shower-door-seal_p0166725) - I had to trim it with a knife lengthwise which was a bit of a pain but that worked well to cover the bottom gap.

I got the magnetic strip online and turns out you don't need as much as you think (I originally had the strip span the entire height of the door and it was way too strong!)

Thanks for the help!

showerMagnetic.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So glad you resolved the issue @barydos, and many thanks for updating us with the solution.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects