Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix loose plaster coat in bathroom?

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

How to fix loose plaster coat in bathroom?

Hello

I have some spots in my bathrooms with the plaster coat getting loose, as in pics. What's the best way to fix this?

Thanks

Cheers

1000020146.jpg

1000020167.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: plaster coat is getting loose

Good Evening @hesamshimi 

Mmmm The first pic looks like the corner tape has started to lift. To fix it, Id probarly be removing that length of tape and then putting down some fresh plaster and then new tape. Then plastering back over it.  (Any chance of a more overall photo. more to see potentially why the tape has lifted then anything)

The second photo makes me think that the wall may have moved due to the house settling/humidty. Or water if that photo of the tile is in a wet area. Any chance of an overall photo so we can help figure out the best way forward. It will either be some kind of caulking to cover the gap or something that needs to stand up to more water/wet area.

Dave

hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks mate 

I have attached more overall pics.

The second pic is in a humid area just about the shower head.

Please mentione what products from bunnings are useful in these cases.

Cheers

1000020169.jpg

1000020168.jpg

  

Hi @hesamshimi,

Some great advice from @Dave-1 there. You can certainly go ahead and remove the tap in the corner and re-apply Builders Edge 75m Perforated Plasterboard Jointing Tape with Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound. You'll also need a scraper to apply the plaster and a Builders Edge Internal Corner Plaster Tool to smooth the internal corner profile. You can then sand the area smooth. The next step is applying an undercoat and painting the area.

@Dave-1's more keen on a proper fix in this scenario than I am. Before attempting a full repair, if the paper is lifting on the joint tape, personally, I'd just stick it down with a bit of PVA glue and call it a day. Performing the above is a significant amount of work for what could be just the edge of the paper becoming delaminated. However, the proper repair method might expose other issues that need to be addressed.

For your second image, I'd suggest filling that gap with a white wet-area silicone. Here's a helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hesamshimi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I'll consider your tips

The second pic is not a gap to caulk actually. In the zoomed pic you see I did caulked it with silicon already but the plaster coast is peeling from near the silicon line.i reckon the humidity is causing the peeling.

1000020187.jpg

Hi @hesamshimi,

Unfortunately, that's not translating very well in the image, and it's hard to interpret what is going on. Perhaps resolve the peeling with some PVA glue and give the ceiling a couple of good coats of paint designed for bathrooms. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects