Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix rusting door frames?

Jwilson
Just Starting Out

How to fix rusting door frames?

Hi, I have a home unit at West Lakes in Adelaide and the door frames are rusting at the bottom. Is there any way I can remedy this or is it possible to replace the frames with timber? It's worst in the wet areas but is also present in the bedroom frames.

The unit was built in the early 1980's.

Who (tradie) could I get to fix this problem if it can be fixed? or is it possible for me to do it.

The door frames have carpet on one side and tiles on the other.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix rusting door frames?

Hello @Jwilson 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing rusting door frames.

If the house was built during the early 80's the door frames would have given you at least 40 years of service. But since the bottoms have rusted out odds are the insides of the steel frame have started to rust as well. It's difficult to tell how far the rust has travelled and how badly it has affected the frame of the door.

In this particular scenario, I recommend removing the old steel frame and replacing it with timber frames. However, before you begin any demolition work, I suggest having your walls tested for asbestos. Houses from that era often used materials that had asbestos in them for fireproofing. 

Once you have your asbestos results back and they come back negative, you can then begin planning on which doors need to be serviced first.

The best trade person for this job would be a registered builder with experience. They'll be able to tell you where the steel frame is anchored to, and they'll be able to provide a quote for the rest of your doors.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects