Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix painted shower flooring tiles?

LizSmith
Just Starting Out

How to fix painted shower flooring tiles?

1000010584.jpg

 my partner and I have moved into a new apartment and it appears that the old owner painting the floor tiles in the shower. After just a couple weeks the paint is cracking and lifting. We are looking into some DIY fixes that don't involve having to rip up the tiles. Would "vinyl tile stickers" be an ok alternative? It's not super clear to me of they are safe to use in showers or not

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix painted shower flooring tiles?

Hi @LizSmith 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your shower floor.

The first thing I suggest doing is to report the paint failure to the property manager or landlord. Make sure to send it as an email so that you have proof that it was reported. Once it has been reported you can ask them what they plan to do to repair it. It might still be under warranty so it's best not to cover it with any other product.

I'm sorry but Bunnings currently does not stock a shower tile base rated paint. The intense heat from the shower quickly deteriorates any paint product you put on the floor.

At this point in time all I can suggest is to remove the peeling paint so that it does not clog up the shower waste and create a flooding issue. I don't recommend using vinyl stickers as they are not rated for wet area use. 

However, in order to cover the floor and prevent a slipping hazard, I propose using a Barelli 53 x 53cm Non-Slip White Rubber Bathmat. You can use these to cover the damage and provide a non-slip surface at the same time. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects