Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leak at bottom bathroom sink tap handle?

gavin16
Growing in Experience

How to fix leak at bottom bathroom sink tap handle?

Hi, there was this kind of leak that I cannot know what is the problem...The issue is I've changed the washer tap, leak wasn't from the tap handle though. Is there a possibility that a washer underneath that need replacement and if that's the case, is this a DIY job or professional help? If DIY, how do I dismantle the part below? any video that can help? 

gavin16_0-1657588175742.png     

gavin16_1-1657588266096.png  

gavin16_3-1657588405041.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix leak at bottom bathroom sink tap handle?

Afternoon Gavin @gavin16 

Your problem is important to us - someone with professional knowledge will be with you shortly.

In the meantime - is this water leak a new problem?

Is there enough room for an open ended spanner?

Comparing to what I have under my vanity - your photo above appears to have a lotta exposed thread showing at that connection where the 'drop' is?

20220712_132143.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gavin16

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your leaking tap.

If water is still leaking out of the body then there is the possibility that the washer tap is not sealing properly. Is water still leaking out of the tap spout? If water is not leaking out of the spout we can eliminate that source and concentrate on the joins. Searching for your leak is a process of elimination. 

Your second picture with an orange circle is indicating a leak. There is the possibility that the compression olive has cracked and needs to be replaced. If the leak continues despite the repair odds are the body of the brass tap has cracked and is letting water out. The only other repair option is to replace the entire assembly. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your leaking tap fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gavin16
Growing in Experience

Hi @Noyade 

-The leak was not a new problem. Had noticed some leak previously but couldn't work out what the issue was.

-Open spanner may fit vertically but not horizontally.

You are right, mine has more thread comparing to yours. Could this also an issue? I touched the part where I indicated "suspect the leak from here" & noticed that my fingers were wet. Could this leak originate from here. Eric mentioned that my washer wasn't installed properly. I'm using soft turn fix a tap washer. Previous washer was anti-hammer washer. is this also a problem?

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @gavin16 thank you for posting and asking the question on Workshop we are glad you have come here to ask.

I am a little unsure on that exact one but let me tag @EricL @Noyade @Jason @MitchellMc to see if they have any advice.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good afternoon @gavin16 

"Open spanner may fit vertically but not horizontally."

I'm sure there's a special place in hell for me for taking the Lord's name in vain so many times in the past when I've been on my back under a vanity or sink trying to solve problems very much like yours Gavin. And I've not always been successful.

My thought was to tighten (moderately) that joint we mentioned - and just see what happens. But if there's no room to even try the 'reverse' open spanner method - then I personally would be removing the taps and spout and lowering that T section onto the sink floor. With a good light you should be able to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Tighten accordingly - if no success, turn off the water supply - and look at that compression olive as Eric mentioned. If no success - you can replace that entire copper/brass T section.

In the past when I have had problems like this I always make an effort to put mini-taps on the water supply end of the "Lazy Hookers" so if I have further issues in the future - I don't have to keep running back and forth to the outside main supply tap.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gavin16,

The first thing you need to do is try and tighten the fitting closest to the drip. Since the drip is hanging off the copper section next to the compression fitting, please tighten the compression fitting. It might need just a slight tightening to re-seal the leak.

Please let us know once you've attempted to tighten that fitting, and if it doesn't work, we'll continue troubleshooting further.

Mitchell

gavin16
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc

Have tighten the nut where the drip was, however, noted that the drip was at the bottom of the hose as below. Suspect it originates from the wet area at the top :- Could that be washer issue or other?? If to change the hose, is it a big job?

gavin16_0-1658272809445.png

gavin16_0-1658272915654.png    

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gavin16

My only other suspicion is that one of the O'rings inside the assembly is faulty and causing a leak. If after replacing the O'rings and you still get a leak, the only other possibility will be that the damage is on the brass body itself. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what needs to be replaced. Please make sure to apply the plumber's grease on the rubber O'ring before re-stalling the spindle inside the assembly.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tap fixed.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects