Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a slow running bath tap?

Barnesy
Growing in Experience

How to fix a slow running bath tap?

Hey all - a little while back I noticed the bath water running slower than usual/poor pressure.  I assumed it was a washer issue so got the right tools to remove the spindle and the washer had disintegrated. I figured it was an easy fix - I went to my local and explained the bulbous washers I had at home didn’t fit (the spindle wouldn’t thread back on with them fitted) so got some others from the team member. Fast forward - washers changed but water pressure is still rubbish.

I rent, but try to fix a lot of the menial things myself to save the hassle. Is this something I need a plumber in for? 
There are no issues with other taps/fittings with the exception of the backyard tap which I think is due to me screwing up and getting the wrong washer for (it wouldn’t completely shut off so I replaced the washer). 
Any advice much appreciated!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: help: slow running bath tap

Hi Barnsey!

"the washer had disintegrated."

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I had a similar experience with a bath spout. The output flow was poor so I decided to start troubleshooting by changing tap washers. One tap washer had disintegrated but once replaced the water output was still poor.

Then I considered the actual spout.

I discovered a large piece of washer rubber had lodged in the elbow. Once removed normal spout flow was restored.

20211229_163753.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

I had a similar problem with my daughters shower. Turned out I didnt get all the bits of the washer out and some was still jammed in the pipe. Just an outside suggestion. Could also be worth checking that the aerator isn't blocked once had one full of rust from old pipes. JDE

Barnesy
Growing in Experience

Interesting - I hadn’t even thought of that! I’ll have a dig around, thank you both 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Barnesy,

When you say the "bulbous" washers won't fit, do you mean the domed Nylon Washer Jumper Tap Valve? If so, these should fit your spindle easy. If they don't, it sounds likes something might be preventing them. Part of the previous washer could be firmly stuck to the tap seat. This extra washer height could be causing the spindle not to screw in and also be obstructing water flow. The advice from @Noyade and @JDE is also spot on.

There's definitely an obstruction in there somewhere.

Keep us updated.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects