Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a crack in bathtub?

colinweiren
Getting Established

How to fix a crack in bathtub?

Hi guys,

There is a big crack/hole in the fiberglass bathtub. It started just a small crack less than 1 year ago but I didn’t pay attention to it. Now the crack is 6+cm long and water is leaking through it. Also the surface around the crack becomes soft and fragile due to lack of support underneath.

I have read a few posts about bathtub crack repairs but still have some questions:

(1) Is the hole this size fixable with epoxy resin?

(2) What is the best product to use?  I have found the following from Bunnings site:

(3)  Can I use a chopped mat with Epoxy Paste?

(4)  What is the best product to use to fill the cavity under the bath to provide support?

(5)  Is it a long-term solution and if not how long will the epoxy seal last?

Many thanks in advance. 

Colin

IMG_2406.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix the hole/crack in bathtub?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @colinweiren. It's a pleasure having you join us and we look forward to seeing and assisting you with your D.I.Y. projects around the home and garden.

Thanks for your question on repairing a cracked bathtub. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as he can. Also tagging @TedBear@Tyro and @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix a crack in bathtub?

Afternoon. @colinweiren 

Thirty years ago I stupidly placed a four-legged ladder in a bathtub so I could paint the bathroom ceiling and slipped such that my weight concentrated on one ladder leg - and punched a hole through the tub.

I was originally gonna remove the tub and work from the underside - but went with an ugly fibre-glass patch on the inside. Nevertheless it held water for thirty years.

I've also had success with these fibre-glass repair kits on the evaporative air-conditioner base.

I guess it all depends on how much you love your tub.

But the images you posted above appear to show the crack encroaching on the drain?

Remove it completely and assess? Time for a new one maybe?

20231219_122155.jpg

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to fix a crack in bathtub?

Hi @colinweiren 

Yikes!  I'm with @Noyade on this one.  It looks to me like the formation of an expanding headache, so I'd be looking to invest in a new one, mainly for the  peace of mind factor!

Good luck!  🤞

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix the hole/crack in bathtub?

Hello @colinweiren 

I'm afraid the damage is too severe to repair. I suggest saving your money and redirecting it towards a replacement bath set. Acrylic baths have this habit of flexing when it encounters heavy weight or hot temperatures. Since the damage is close to the waste assembly any flexing that might occur here will undo any repair work applied.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects