Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure window ventilation in bathroom renovation?

Ben2065
Growing in Experience

How to ensure window ventilation in bathroom renovation?

Hi everyone,

I am slowly restoring my heritage home (built aprox 1890's) I am currently trying to divide my original double hung window (no sash cord/pulley etc ever installed but slides very well). I need to divide the rooms along the blue line to allow a toilet room with small hand basin on the right (hot water service to be relocated) and a separate room on the left which won't be used for shower or as a wet room. I do not wish to interfere with the sewer plumbing for the toilet and therefore need to divide the window. After countless hours pondering what to do I have come up with a few options.

Option 1

Leave upper and lower window panes in their closed position and install window mounted exhaust fans either side in the upper window pane. I would install a timber fake mullion down the midline with foam seal against the window to allow the stud to marry up to this. I am concerned the noise this would cause on a daily basis.

Option 2

Leave the upper window in the fully closed up position and raise the lower window enough to install an opening floor vent (similar to this https://www.bunnings.com.au/accord-10-x-30cm-antique-brass-marquis-floor-register_p0810309 ) mounted in marine ply to seal the opening around the vent. This way I can open the vent to allow air flow and can close the vent to prevent airflow if cold/wet weather (this window is rarely exposed to direct rain or heavy weather) I am not familiar with these vents and if their closed position provides adequate air seal. Obviously it would be possible to attach insect screen material on the outside of this vent to avoid insects entering.

Option 3

Install an centre mullion and 2 casement windows which open into each room due to bars outside the window preventing outward opening. Whilst more ideal I can see this being a far more complex and labour intensive process

Option 4

Retrofit the window with a centre mullion and custom make double hung windows both sides with salvaged old timber windows. I am confident this would look nice however would likely be an extremely challenging and demanding process

I have considered retrofitting louvre glass windows either side however when this was quoted it is cost prohibitive (aprox $1300 supply only)

I would be doing the work myself and am confident with the timberwork and have fully restored the all the old timber double hung windows in my place. The image attached is an older image in my renos and shows the original arrangement of the window with the upper pane lowered to its resting position with insect screen material stapled in position.

Room divider with blue line.jpg

I look forward to your suggestions/thoughts   

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure window ventilation in bathroom renovation?

90mm studs would indeed be typically used for creating partition walls @Ben2065.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects