Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a water barrier for shower for a wheelchair user?

ahochstadt
Finding My Feet

How to create a water barrier for shower for a wheelchair user?

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

   

Hi, are there any suggestions to create a barrier in the shower shown in the photos so water doesn’t run out the side. It needs to be accessible still by a wheelchair. Thank you.

IMG_4362.jpeg

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: Waterbarrier for Shower - Wheelchair User

Hi @ahochstadt ,

That's a tough one, I assume you mean to put a barrier at the door way to stop water going down that entry way?

If so, I can't think of anything permanent without putting a lip on it or making it not easily accessible.  Maybe something like rolling up a towel and putting it in the entry way, something that can be removed?  Not sure if that would suit. 

Other than that, the only suggestion i can make is to hang a shower curtain around the bath where the shower curtain falls to the inside of the bath so no water gets out in the first place.  Set up the shower curtain similar to the image below.. Again, not sure if this would suit your needs or not.

Marty_greenshed_0-1698988227494.jpeg

Thanks

Marty

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ahochstadt. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a water stop.

A few options you could consider would be siliconing a Sandleford 12 x 1000mm Clear Shower Floor Channel, Metal Mate 12 x 3mm 1m Aluminium Flat Bar or Metal Mate 38.1 x 4.75mm 1m Aluminium Crescent Mould across the area. The Sandleford floor channel might be a little high at 12mm to navigate over, but the other two shouldn't pose much of an obstacle. 

Ideally the tiles should be graded to allow water to flow to the drain, but that doesn't seem to be the case if it runs out of the area. I'd suggest you use a combination of the floor water stop and @Marty_greenshed's idea of the shower curtain. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your help, Marty.

Unfortunately, the bath is only there temporarily and will have to be removed for use by the wheelchair.

Thank you in any case your your suggestion and using a towel is something we've also considered. 

Regards,

Anna

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects