Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change a shower drain cover?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

How to change a shower drain cover?

IMG_3968.jpeg

Hey legends! I’m looking at slowly changing over all our tapware and accents from chrome to black. I bought the correct size shower drain cover and I took out the current chrome circular piece but then realised the square piece is permanently in there. This may sound stupid but is there a way to get it out of the floor so I can put the whole new black and square and circular piece in there instead?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to change a shower drain cover?

There are no stupid questions here on Workshop @SarahK1996!

Let me tag some helpful members to see if they can give you some advice for removing the drain cover:

@Santullo@JDE@tom_builds@LePallet 

I'm suer our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SarahK1996 

My apologies for the late reply. Removing a well embedded floor waste is a challenge unto itself. There is the possibility that the tiles around it might get damaged. It might be anchored so well to the plumbing that removing it might damage the pipes. In this particular instance, I suggest engaging the services of a professional tiler to remove the waste for you. Should any damage occur, it will be responsibility of the tiler. 

But just in case you are curious, the tool you need to use is called a multitool and you'll need a Diablo 70mm Multi Function Tool Ultimate Grout And Mortar Blade to cut into the grout. Removing the grout requires a steady hand as any slips can cut right through the tiles. Once you've cut through the grout, you need to investigate how the waste has been attached. Once you see how it's been done, you'll need the appropriate tool or technique to remove it. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the details Eric!

I don't think I'm game enough to go down that track.... hmmmm.. other option, what if I spray painted it with Dulux Metalshield Matte Black!? Could that be an option?

SarahK1996
Building a Reputation

Appreciate that Jason!

Hi @SarahK1996,

You could certainly give the spray paint a short. However, it's not really designed for a wet area like that, so the longevity would be compromised. If you did go ahead, I'd recommend you tape off your tiles around the grate and abraid it with 120-grit sandpaper. It's almost impossible for the spray paint to stick to the chrome layer, so you want to scratch it all up in a cross-hashed fashion. This gives the chrome some toothing, allowing the paint a better chance of gripping onto it.

Another thought, you could scrub the grate thoroughly to remove any trace of soap scum and stick some black self-adhesive film over it. It will take some patience to cut out the slots with a scalpel, but it might actually last for some time. I can't imagine it would last forever, and there's a good chance it could come off after a few showers, but it might be worth a go.

Remember your PPE, including a face mask, gloves and safety glasses and well-ventilate the area whilst spraying.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects