Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repair these walls after removing tiles?

emmarobynx
Finding My Feet

How do I repair these walls after removing tiles?

I have removed tiles from the wall and it has taken chunks of the wall and paint with it. How do I repair it to get it ready to paint again 

IMG_1930.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I repair these walls after removing tiles?

Hi @emmarobynx and welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community.

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing a photo so we can see what you are working with. Could you just please confirm what the white area is? Is that the remains of the plasterboard paper or is it the tile adhesive? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @emmarobynx,

It appears that the layer under the tiles was plaster over masonry. Start by sanding back the residual tile glue that is proud of the surface around the perimeter, as marked below. I then recommend you spritz the masonry with water and use a plasterer's float to apply Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound over the area. Once dry, you can sand the area flat with a plaster sander. It's important to use these large flat tools to establish a smooth finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

It is the remains of the plasterboard 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @emmarobynx 

It's important that all those protruding leftover parts of the tiles and adhesive must be removed to achieve a nice flat finish. Any loose plaster bits or plaster that is likely to fall or chip off is better removed rather than plastered over. 

Once the wall is clear of the debris you can then begin plastering the surface in accordance with the recommendations made. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects