Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I attach this plantation shutter to tiled window frame?

JamesG
Growing in Experience

How do I attach this plantation shutter to tiled window frame?

I have a DIY PVC plantation shutter I need to attach to a tiled window frame in a bathroom.

Any tips for how to safely attach screws into the tiles without cracking them?IMG_7784 Large.jpegIMG_7938 Large.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I attach this plantation shutter to tiled window frame?

Hello @JamesG 

Thanks for sharing your question about installing your plantation shutter. Before you start drilling, I suggest having a good look at the installation point of the plantations shutters hinges. I advise not having it very close to the edge of the tile as it might crack the edge of the tile itself. If possible, I propose installing the hinge holes closer to the middle of the tile so that it is not under any stress.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Best drill bit for vitreous china (WC)? by @bazzyboy. This discussion will give you a general idea of what it looks like when drilling into ceramic surfaces. If the plantation shutter came with wall screws, I suggest getting the same size but longer so that it can anchor properly in the wall plug you'll be using. 

I recommend using Ramset 6 x 38mm Universal Anchor - 6 Pack, however, if you feel you need a beefier plug, I suggest using the next size up. Please note that you'll need to change to larger screws so that it will grab on to the wall plug.

In regards to the drill bit itself, I suggest having a look at the QEP 6mm Diamond Tile Drill Bit. It includes a drill guide and a water cooling cup. It's great for cutting holes in glass, ceramic, porcelain, marble and granite. My number one tip is to never run it dry and always use the water chamber provided. The water keeps the head of the cutting bit nice and cool and prevents it from overheating.

My number on tip is to mark your drilling points very well. Unlike timber that allows you a bit of leeway when you drill the hole out of alignment, tile mounting points must be precise as it does not allow you make corrections after drilling.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JamesG
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. Appreciate the advice!

JamesG
Growing in Experience

IMG_7994 Large.jpegIMG_7995 Large.jpeg

Project is now finished, so thought I'd post pictures of the finished project.

In the end, I only needed timber screws as the window frame was under the tiles. I also used a standard ceramic tile drill bit which worked fine. I used a water spray bottle to eliminate dust and keep the drill bit cool.

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks sensational @JamesG! What a fantastic job you've done.

Many thanks for sharing your results with us.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JamesG 

Thank you very much for that update. Your installation looks fantastic, and the shutter fits perfectly in your bathroom. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @JamesG 

That has come up really nicely! And love how it went from a question to actually seeing the solution :smile: Did you put a timber frame around the edge? I was looking at the before photos and the after ones, I was thinking of a timber inset when I saw the first part :smile:

Dave

JamesG
Growing in Experience

Hey Dave. No timber inset, it was a tiled window frame. The plantation shutter itself has a kind of frame, then doors inset to that.

FWIW I bought the shutters from iseekblinds.com.au and were very happy with their customer service and end product

JamesG
Growing in Experience

Next project coming up @EricL :smile: Any advice welcome again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects