Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can we conceal or change where the dryer vent is?

smasshmurphy
Getting Established

How can we conceal or change where the dryer vent is?

We want to install our dryer over the washing machine however the previous owner had theirs over in the top left corner with the dryer vent visible. Is there a way we can have the dryer directly over the washing machine with how the plugs/taps etc are currently and is there any way of concealing the dryer vent/how big a job is it to move this behind the dryer? Thanks in advance!

IMG_4636.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can we conceal or change where the dryer vent is?

Hello @smasshmurphy 

Thanks for sharing your question about putting your dryer on top of your washing machine. 

Before placing the dryer on top of the washer, I suggest using this tool Empire Bullseye Level on top in the middle of your washing machine. This will show you if your washing machine is levelled perfectly. By having the washing machine balanced it will produce less vibrations and will not shake your dryer too much in the process.

I also recommend putting Jack 100 x 15mm Rubber Anti Vibration Squares as a divider between the washer and the dryer. These pads will absorb further vibrations from both machines.

However, if you are thinking about hanging the dryer much lower in front of the washing machine taps, I propose installing a timber packer as a mounting point for the dryer. This will push the dryer off the wall allowing you to install the dryer in front of the washing machine taps. I suggest measuring the taps depth so that you'll know which timber to use.

In regards to the dryer outlet, I suggest covering it with a Holman 100mm PVC DWV Push On Cap or similar. This will smarten up the outlet and prevent any vermin from coming in. You can use tape or silicone to keep the cap in place. I suggest checking the size of the outlet before going to the store. 

Your other option is to remove the outlet and replaster the wall and cover the outlet vent outside the house with new timber or brick. 

Please double check your owner's manual for both machines as they will have recommended clearances from the wall. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
smasshmurphy
Getting Established

Re: How can we conceal or change where the dryer vent is?

Thank you Eric that’s really helpful :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects