Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix shower leak issues?

ppp
Having an Impact

How can I fix shower leak issues?

I've got 2 issues with this shower.

First One = As shown in the shower door pic there is a slight gap between the shower entrance door and shower base. I've just put a red color mug inside the shower so that you can clearly see the mug from that gap here. And the gap is through out the length of the entrance door so there is always splash of water coming out. 

Second one= This happens when there is heavy usage of water for example when my kid plays with bucket of water pouring on the shower floor or doors.   I guess the water droplets are coming from the shower base. 

I went through other posts before posting this one.  I could find something like this for first problem  https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-12-x-1000mm-black-shower-floor-channel_p0166738?region_id=118... but not sure whether this is right solution.

Thanks for your time.

glass door.pngWater dropsWater dropsWater drops1Water drops1Water drops2Water drops2 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix this shower leak issues ?

Hi @ppp,

I think you'll find adding a Sandelford 10 x 2200mm Shower Seal Strip down the door edge between the hinges will block that water from escaping. You'll need to cut it and attach a smaller section below the hinge to cover that small gap. Selley's clear wet area sealant can be used to stick the strip onto the edge of the door.

For the water leaking out under the panel or trim, it's a bit harder to tell what's going on there. You could seal that gap from the outside with the clear sealant, but it's best to stop the water from exiting the internal area instead of blocking it on the outside. Can you show us what it looks like inside the shower on the other side of the glass from where those drips are? You might need to seal a gap on the inside of the shower. However, kids are pretty good at getting water everywhere, so they might be throwing it at the glass panels, and it's escaping out and around it somehow.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How can I fix this shower leak issues ?

Thank you Mitchell.

I will try out the seal which you linked for the first problem.

Regarding second issue - I'm ataching photos how it looks from inside the shower. I can see there are two issues. One issue is - the gap is not uniform acorss the length of the trim, the size of the gap is more near the wall. As shown in third pic, near the shower door corner the gap is very small.

The other issue looks like the sealant is no more, might be due to regular cleaning with a brush. Not sure. 

Please guide me how to fix this uneven gap.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 8.07.40 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 8.07.40 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 8.12.38 AM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix shower leak issues?

Hello @ppp 

I suggest leaving the gap as it is, the gap possibly occurred when the shower frame was being assembled. It is perfectly alright the way it is; you can use the same product Selleys 300g Clear Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant that @MitchellMc mentioned earlier in his post. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone seal a bath ( the techniques used are applicable to your shower assembly )

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects