Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix loose tiles?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

How can I fix loose tiles?

Some of the tiles in my bathroom is loose and wobbles when I walk past on them. How can I safely remove it (still some portion of it is struck to it) and relay them strong? This is on first floor of a double storey home.

IMG_9747.jpeg

IMG_9746.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I fix loose tiles?

Hi @jaiprak,

Is it only the tiles in the pictures that have become wobbly, or are there others? If it's just one of two tiles, then you can use a grout saw to cut through the grout. If it's just the grout that's holding them in place, they should be easy to remove. If it's a more extensive job with several tiles, you might like to invest in a multi-function tool and a diamond attachment for grout removal.

In order to glue the tiles back in position, you'll likely have to remove some of the existing glue from the back of the tile or floor. If you just glue them back down without removing the existing glue, the tiles will sit slightly proud of the surrounding tiles.

Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step guides: How to remove grout and How to lay floor tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell - It is about 4 to 5 tiles in both the bathrooms. I have a Multi and will get a diamond attachment. My concern was how to take the tiles out without breaking them?

when I remove them without breaking I will clean the existing glue before putting new one

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jaiprak 

Thanks for sharing that extra information about your tools. Technically if the tile wobbles, it means that the adhesive behind has failed and the only thing holding it in place are the grout lines. Once the grout has been removed you should be able to lift the tiles out of the floor. 

However, if the tile does not wobble then odds are the adhesive is still stuck to the tile. Unfortunately, there is no way to remove the tile without damaging it. If the tile needs to be replaced it will need to be broken with a mallet and a new tile will need to be installed. I strongly recommend making sure you have spare tiles before you begin your project.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects