Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix leaking hole concrete wall?

dcool75
Finding My Feet

How can I fix leaking hole concrete wall?

IMG_6618.jpeg

IMG_6617.jpeg

IMG_6619.jpeg

The red circle in one of the photos is where a hole is from where water is leaking into the laundry. Behind this wall there is a sideway on a slope and I tried looking in there - the water is not coming in atleast from any visible surfaces as I could not see any gaps from the outside. 

Could you please suggest of ideas on how can I stop water leaking into my laundry?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How can I fix leaking hole concrete wall?

Afternoon @dcool75 

Any chance of a larger photo of outside?

I had water entering my garage along what I thought was a solid brick wall that was burried. Then found out that mortar is porus, that there are fine cracks that we dont see, that there are even almost holes in the mortar sometimes. I had to dig out the entire wall tpo fix the issue.

So the water could be traveling subsurface wise a resonable distance. Is it a constant weep? My concern if you do plug it means that the problem will appear at the next weakest point. It does look like someone has used concrete to plug it up before. So I think long term water entry. 

Will wait for a pic of the outside if possible. 

Dave

Hi @Dave-1 - thanks for your time and detailed response. Please find attached more photos. 

IMG_6624.jpeg

IMG_6626.jpeg

IMG_6627.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

IMG_6629.jpeg

   

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @dcool75 

Thank you for the extra photos...

Bugger is the easiest answer 😕  I take it that the Laundry is behind that sheet and extends below ground level?

I suspect that the water is running down underneath the path somewhere along the wall until it finds that weak spot and then exits into your laundry. 😕

Painting or glueing anything over the leak wont really work as the hydrostatic pressure will force through somewhere else. removing the pavers along the wall and sealing the outside wall first will be the best way of fixing the issue. Lots of work but it is worth it (I had the same problem)

Fixing water ingress issues in garage  is the project to fix my issue, It may help you out.

Would love to see how you fix the issue, You could use that bitument paint on the inside as a short term fix (its not paintable over) but I think the water will still force its way through.

Dave

Thanks @Dave-1 . I agree removing the pacers and sealing might be the only solution unfortunately. Thanks again for your insights and time. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dcool75 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your leaking concrete wall.

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. His analysis and suggestion solution of the problem is spot on. I'm afraid that patching the leak will only force the water to reroute itself and proceed to the next weakest point in your wall. Removing the paving, digging down and sealing the wall from the outside would be ideal solution to implement. 

Using Gripset Betta 1L Waterproofing Membrane Bitumen Rubber might temporarily stop the leak, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how long the repair would last. Please keep in mind that bitumen can't be painted over.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects