Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fire bath repair

ksoule
Just Starting Out

Fire bath repair

Hello I have a cast iron bathtub outside that I light a fire under, and have baths in. There is a growing bit of rust on inside of bath in the centre, where the enamel is no more. Is it possible to fix such a thing, given that fires will be lit underneath or is that kind of heat going to ruin any fix job inside the tub? Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fire bath repair

Hello @ksoule

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your cast iron bath.

What a wonderful idea! It's like having your own personal spa even in the middle of winter, this would be so relaxing. Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a full photo of the actual bath and where it's situated? This will give our members a chance to assess its condition. We can then make recommendations on how to fix it. 

Is it like an ordinary ceramic-coated drop-in bath or is it a free-standing steel bath with legs? Unfortunately, drop-in baths have very thin steel and if this is the type of bath you have then the epoxy enamel coating is literally being cooked away due to the heat from the bottom of the bath.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects