Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. timber fluted vanity

The_Reno_Life
Finding My Feet

D.I.Y. timber fluted vanity

We wanted a feature vanity without the huge price tag, so we decided to make one!

Materials

Hardwood Laminated Panel
Walnut coloured stain
Timber glue
Hinges
Cirque Porta Timber
Screws
MDF for door backing (we recycled packing mdf)
110x35 backing rail for wall hanging

Tools

Sander, saw and drills

Timber glue for vanity frame

Timber glue for doors

Steps

Step 1

1. Rip the 900mm panel down the centre to give approx. 2x445mm pieces.

20230716_145724_0000.png

Step 2

2. Mitre cut the ends to your desired size. We made ours 1500mm long and 500mm in height.

Step 3

3. Glue and screw all the pieces together to create a box. We used nails and glue at the top to avoid seeing the screw holes.

20230716_145724_0001.png

Step 4

4. Install the 110x35 rail at the back of the vanity. This gives it the ability to be wall hung.

Step 5

5. Sand and seal using the desired stain.

Step 6

6. Measure and cut your door backings to suit the cabinet, allowing enough clearance for the hinges.

Step 7

7. Glue and trim the Cirque pieces onto the MDF backings and install doors to cabinet, adjust/trim as necessary.

20230716_145724_0002.png

Step 8

8. Sand and seal the doors, install some handles and it's ready to hang on the wall!

Step 9

9. Install your basin.

The Reno Life - Lenstan 2-75.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: DIY timber fluted vanity

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @The_Reno_Life. It's an absolute pleasure to have you join us. We hope you find this site helpful and inspiring, offering you a wealth of useful D.I.Y. advice and great ideas. 

Thanks for sharing your lovely fluted vanity. This is a terrific project, and really enlivens your bathroom. I anticipate it'll generate some interest from our members who may want to replicate it. Did you face any unexpected challenges during this project? What advice would you give to someone who is considering undertaking a similar DIY project for the first time?

Projects like yours often get recognised in our Top Ideas articles like Bathroom vanity makeovers and I won't be surprised to see this project in a similar list one day. 

Congratulations on a great project once again and I'm excited to see more of your work. 

Akanksha 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects